No announcement yet.

New exhaust from Bastuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The map in my ecu is allowing the turbo to boost to 1.25bar before actuating the wastegate - That better?
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks both- makes sense bar wastegate?
      CBLUE
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Chris have a look here http://www.hybridturbos.com/technica...er-components/
        Originally posted by cyclone
        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
        Originally posted by Broda
        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

That was a good read- thanks for that
          No wonder they say performance is pretty much "Air in" and "Air out"
          CBLUE
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Anyone know what eu category III and eu category IV means catalytic converters mean without me trawling the web
            Seems only Cat IV is UK and Europe Cat III or something so VORTEX Exhausts have emailed
            CBLUE
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
              Anyone know what eu category III and eu category IV means catalytic converters mean without me trawling the web
              Seems only Cat IV is UK and Europe Cat III or something so VORTEX Exhausts have emailed
              CBLUE
              White paper for you: [url]
              cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Right- a thought popped into my head for members to shoot down
                If you fitted a decat downpipe where the exisiting cat is, could a 63mm Cat be cut into the upgraded exhaust on the underside of the vehicle?
                You can get some 63mm Cats that are only £140 (Hopefully theyd pass an MOT)

Problems could be - i suspect they could get hit around a bit with the flotsom and jetsome of the road (Stones, debris)
                Maybe even grounded, but then they would be smaller in diameter than a mid silencer!
                Any thoughts? Jamie?
                CBLUE
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Right- a thought popped into my head for members to shoot down
                  If you fitted a decat downpipe where the exisiting cat is, could a 63mm Cat be cut into the upgraded exhaust on the underside of the vehicle?
                  You can get some 63mm Cats that are only £140 (Hopefully theyd pass an MOT)

Problems could be - i suspect they could get hit around a bit with the flotsom and jetsome of the road (Stones, debris)
                  Maybe even grounded, but then they would be smaller in diameter than a mid silencer!
                  Any thoughts? Jamie?
                  CBLUE
                  A catalytic converter can be installed anywhere in the exhaust system, however, for a catalytic converter to be functional and comply for emission legislation, it needs to light off, this ("light off") is the operational temperature, and that is approximately 350°c >

Hence the reason that catalytic converters are installed either in the exhaust downpipe or as close to the front of the vehicle as is possible, sometimes a combination of both locations is necessary in tight smog controlled countries (America etc etc)

These locations are perfect for "light off" and optimum emission control, that said, these locations are far from ideal when looking for performance, albeit all the performance offerings simply keep the stock locations and reduce the CEL (cells per inch 200, 100 etc) or a complete decat with no catalytic converter in the exhaust system whatsoever, and although this maybe good for performance, it is illegal for the road and many forms of FIA controlled Motorsport.

For the old school among us, that have watched the group "B" rally cars on a night stage, and seen the exhaust tip outlet glowing Cherry Red, this was and is a catalytic converter silencer, these offered the combination of the mandatory catalytic converter and regulated silencing in one package, with the added benefit of full flow optimum exhaust systems, installing the restriction "catalytic converter" as far back as possible.

These combined catalytic converter/silencers are available but expensive, and due to Motorsport heavy throttle conditions can get them to "light off" with the necessary high heat exhaust gas temperatures, this will be very difficult to get a catalytic converter to "light off" for emission legislation if the installed position is to far backward in the exhaust system of a road going vehicle, you will need to measure (spot temp gun) your exhaust system at different RPM to determine the best installation location possible.
                  Performance Powered By Thought
                  Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Thanks Czar
                    So, as long as the converter reaches 350c, it can be placed anywhere
                    The hotter the better so close to the engine as possible (Behind the flex joint?)
                    And to check that this location use a spot thermometer to get the reading at certain revolutions
                    So what revs does the MOT run the emissions test? throughout the range or a specific range scope
                    And 200 cell should be fine?
                    CBLUE
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Thanks Czar
                      So, as long as the converter reaches 350c, it can be placed anywhere
                      The hotter the better so close to the engine as possible (Behind the flex joint?)
                      And to check that this location use a spot thermometer to get the reading at certain revolutions
                      So what revs does the MOT run the emissions test? throughout the range or a specific range scope
                      And 200 cell should be fine?
                      CBLUE
                      Now like anything, catalytic converters vary immensely due to chosen production materials and construction, you get what you pay for!

So although a "light off" temperature of 350°c is a general guide, this temperature will vary with the varying variety of materials used in the construction of the aftermarket catalytic converters, furthermore the material choice and CEL selection will vary the amount of emission control, so you may find after all your hard work with installation location and chosen aftermarket catalytic converter that you still fall foul of the MOT emission test which is held at 2,500 - 3,000 RPM
                      Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                        That was good information for me too. Thanks! But i'm kinda confused about the external wastegate part. So do the stock DS3 THP comes with a internal waste gate? Do we need a external waste gate at all if we are thinking of higher gains? I used to have a external wastegate on my WRX to help maintain the boost level. i realised that with the external waste gate, the boost is linear and it will stay there till i lift my foot off the throttle. On stock, without the EWG the boost seemed inconsistent and felt jerky..

Comment

Hi Czar,

Also have an question about the downpipes incl. sportcat.
                          What do you think about the products from Milltek? I know they are using catalytic converters from HJS
                          DS3 THP Sport Chic Blanc Banquise / Noir Onyx - Forge Pipe Kit - Forge Induction Kit - Forge Recirculating Valve - Custom Intercooler - H&R 25mm

Comment

Yes, the THP turbo has an internal waste gate. The turbos internal waste gate should have no problem dealing with the amount of boost that the turbo can make while staying within it's efficiency range. This may sounds backwards but a small waste gate deals with high power levels better as you bypass less exhaust gas to make that big power. A larger waste gate can deal with low boost levels better as you are bypassing lots of exhaust to keep your boost level low. The amount of hard earned cash you would have to lay out to make all the changes an external waste gate would require would be much larger than any potential gain.
                            Originally posted by cyclone
                            It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                            Originally posted by Broda
                            I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by Fabian View Post
                              Hi Czar,

Also have an question about the downpipes incl. sportcat.
                              What do you think about the products from Milltek? I know they are using catalytic converters from HJS
                              Well I can and do only give honest answers, and as I am an authorised stockist/supplier of both Milltek and HJS products, and have been for many years, you get what you pay for, Milltek being a global leader for exhaust systems, and HJS produce and supply the best catalytic converters in the world, furthermore their catalytic converters are FIA certified.
                              Engineered Horsepower

Comment

OK Czar- so when can you supply a downpipe with 200 cell Milltek sportscat
                                Wheres your shop then?
                                CBLUE
                                sigpic
                                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                                X