Coilovers or lowering springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilovers or lowering springs?

From a handling perspective, being closer to the ground is better, less roll and that. Looks are an added bonus. (Racings are 15mm lower so I believe)

The easiest and cheapest way to get lower, is to replace the standard springs, and the cost of supply and fit is prob around £200 to £300 at a guess. (Springs only as cheap as £140).
    You can get anything from 10mm lower (Bit pointless) up to 55mm Ive seen. My aim would be a pretty boring 25mm (H+R) reduction for first year or so. There are a fair few manufacturers of springs for the DS3.

Coilovers, with sport dampers (Shock absorbers) with a spring integral to the damper, are really good as you can lower and raise the ride height, and also adjust the damper so I understand? Again, SPAX, BC, (Not for the 51mm strut of the THP 155 however) Bilstein, (Not for the THP 155 However) KW and others all do a coilover system.

Thing is they are pricey at probably around £900-£1k for the better ones to buy and someone else to install. (Cheapish set to buy starts at £640 Ive seen) Am sure they are better than springs as they can be raised and lowered for road or track use (Not that easy as most you have to raise on a jack, and some are awkward to do) but how often would you raise/ lower if its hassle, and do they justify, say, 4 times the cost of springs? Not sure how the dampers are adjusted and whether the adjustment is on all Coilovers. Obvs another handy point of Coilovers is you can have the front lower, more weight/traction on the front wheels. and the back a little higher. Looks nicer too.

Yes- I appreciate the warranty bit.......
    Last edited by Chris_Blue; 21-11-2013, 12:43.
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Chris, Are you asking which one to get or are you giving advice out ?

Either way, there's a ton of threads on here about this...

Comment

Asking advice, comments from people that have either

When I used the search, didn't see any thread titles that compared the both, other than having to trawl through the selection that came up
      Bilsteins are off for the moment for the DSports, so asking those who have the springs, and those that have coilovers for comments. They may have had them on other cars.

If the thread is a repeat, it will just fade into existence..............................
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

Comment

I've had both. Coilovers all day for me - well worth the extra £££

Comment

Originally posted by ZACK View Post
          I've had both. Coilovers all day for me - well worth the extra £££
          Any more info as to why? Comparison
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

i have got FK springs and yes it looks nicer and handles better when driving in good spirit, but is a much harsher ride for casual driving and i would imagine puts alot of strain on the stock shockers/mounts etc

my choice would be stay on standard suspension but if not then coilovers, just a shame they cost so much on your ds3's

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi chris you only get what you pay for
              DS3 RACING | SUPERCHIPPED 233bhp/321nm | ITG INDUCTION

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ds3r View Post
                Hi chris you only get what you pay for
                Ha- yes I agree. But would like to know what the differences are
                Some tuners have said coilovers aren't worth the extra money
                Don't want to spend thousands on a car I may only have for 3 or 4 years.
                Got a budget for mods

Do you adjust yours often ds3r?
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Hi mate set them for the road as you know the car is low and happy with that but they will be adjusted when I'm on the track then back again .

sigpic

Comment

Do you adjust the dampers too? or just the ride height?
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Hi yes that where open pit lane is Great you can go in and out and you can set the car up how you want it get the best out of it.

sigpic

Comment

Yes- I like the open pit lane idea.
                        Need quite a few more novice days yet, first tho
                        sigpic
                        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Yes you will get there it just takes time build on each track day .

sigpic

Comment

Looking forward to it- need to go faster
                            Coilovers would help- but £1kish
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

You only live once life's too sort

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X