stutter / judder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stutter / judder

Well today I was childish and played with a 14plate fiesta st and the ds3 done me proud and I pulled a little gap and the cap stayed.. so I was well pleased.. but then about 3hrs after on my way to work I joined the motorway she flew up to some naughty didgits and some tool in a twingo gt pulled out so I slowed.. put my foot to the floor and the stutter / judder was very very worrying so I let off give it a boot full again and she was ok... It's about 3rd time since owning the car it has happened... I have a very good guess that I need Jamie's nuts blowen through her.. but I am hoping you guys could put a finger on it for me.before I spend money... It's a 1.6thp 26k 2010
    Last edited by gaz_dsport; 22-10-2014, 20:24.

Sounds like carbonned up inlet valves, but could be a few other things.
    Plugs, air filter dirty (Wont help) fuel type? etc etc. Have you a catch can fitted Gaz?

Take a spark plug out and see if its sooty, or damaged .

But a 2010 THP may well need the nuts treatment. Are you aware whether the car has had timing chain/ tensioner issues in the past?
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Not long had chain and tensioner done with local Citroen under used car warranty... I run it on shell vpower since I have owned it last 6k... No catch can yet but plans r there for it... I'm off weekend so was going get the tools out as I was changing oil and filter this weekend anyway.. so will check air filter and plugs same time then possibly get it booked into local Citroen but I don't trust tum with a Lego set so thought of them playing with my car is unplesant .. so in 2minds to take trip to jamie or just see what garage comes up with first

Comment

They shouldnt charge you to have a look- just the hassle of you going in to see them
        They will only offer a solution and the price for it
        You know they will try and replicate the problem, and if they cant replicate it, they will just give it back to you, unless theres a fault code (You got torque pro on your Android phone? )- so try get a video, or even just audio of it.

They will prob come up with "Spray a special cleaner". Just ask them straight "Are the inlet valves carbonned up"
        You wont get a straight answer- but will be interesting to see what they do say

Do you get a clicking sound by the timing chain on start up- might not happen for a minute or so till after start up
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Yes not all the time... Only every now and again... That's why I went in and told them think timing chain or tensioner needs doing and they ended up changing it... But couple days after having it back the ticking / rattle was back.. only last a min or so then goes and once car been running don't do it again unless it is stood for like 12hrs.. and again only happenes every now and again

Comment

^ Sounds fairly typical. Some people believe the chain is just getting lubed up before the noise stops. I had a noise similar to that I didnt like earlier in the year, and it was just before the 1st service in March. So, spoke to the dealer Tech team, and they said a change of oil may help, and it did, and next place they were gonna look was oil pump (Pricey)

I gave them a video of the noise, so my concerns are on record.

Been OK since, that why I do a 6 monthly/ 6000 mile oil change myself

My money would be on the inlet valves, be interesting to see what Citroen say. Or you could Terraclean (£100 see other thread) or go for Jamies walnuts. BMW do the service too (As the Mini has same engine issues and as we know BMW own Mini) if your miles away from Jamie

Ed Not sure this link will work, but makes interesting reading if it does. Apols for linking to a Mini website, but hey, its the same engine.....

http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/02/...issue-exposed/

The article may scare the pants off you, but I know some early DS3 owners whom have rattles that started in the first year and took little notice of them, are now in their 4th year with no major issue. Its just a rattly engine. My 150 used to rattle and roll now and again, especially in the winter, but just do your oil checks and stuff, and keep an ear to it. Purely my standpoint obviously.

1 minute warm up before moving off, 10 mins or reach temperature before gouing over 2000 revs.
            Last edited by Chris_Blue; 23-10-2014, 15:09. Reason: added
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

I think Jamie noted that the BMW dealers wouldn't have the correct adapter for the walnut blasting on a DS3, unless I completely imagined that
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                I think Jamie noted that the BMW dealers wouldn't have the correct adapter for the walnut blasting on a DS3, unless I completely imagined that
                He would wouldnt he LOL
                No harm in asking tho is there
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

i did consider going to a bmw garage and asking them.. im going to take the dump valve off on the weekend and take it over to citroen see if they can come up with anything helpful, im from south wales so it is a fair drive up to Jamie.. but then it is a small price to pay for fuel for some 1 who knows what he needs to do and not walk round like lost souls in citroen dealer

Comment

Yes- if my DS3 was out of warranty, and stuttered a few times, would more than likely go see James for some help.

However, its always good to consider alternatives by checking things out with a local BMW dealer- they cant charge you if they cant do it (Theres a list of dealers who do the blasting somewhere... maybe the Mini forum... and the prices varies dramatically) and also the Terraclean situation too- we only ever find out if these alternatives work by trying them.

James is a good 150 miles form me too, and have been there a fair few times, but I am lucky as my work takes me there.
                    Knows his oats wih the DS3 thats for sure.
                    Last edited by Chris_Blue; 23-10-2014, 15:14. Reason: spell
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Been offered terraclean for £110 but is it worth me wasting the 110 or save it and go jamies hmmmm

Comment

Which way to go

Originally posted by gaz_dsport View Post
                        Been offered terraclean for £110 but is it worth me wasting the 110 or save it and go jamies hmmmm
                        Thats the question? Somebody's got to try it first, altho Toxic had it done a couple weeks back
                        Make sure its the High pressure Induction clean covering the inlet valves

Depends how local it is. Jamie has said he's £2-250 dependant on the work needed, but then add petrol
                        You will get a definitive result via Jamie

Maybe ask if Terraclean can give some sort of "Money back" if the hesitation continues. Maybe before and after photo's.

Considering Terraclean, over next few weeks myself TBH

Then Jamie could always stick his camera into the engine and see how clean the valves are after
                        sigpic
                        Jog on Noddy

Comment

An update my Citroen dealers spoke to Citroen UK and they said it was carbon build up so they are sending out the tool they need to pull it all abpart and clean it up.. the service team were a bit shocked when I said I know what the problem is and I mentioned it when I came in he asked how do I know so I showed them this forum... So hopefully he will have a look when he has 5mins and maybe there will be onother Citroen dealer a bit more clued up and a lot less not bothered I cnt think of the word I wonted to put instead of bothered so that will do.. but I have to wait a week or 2.. a week for the tool to turn up and then book it in the week after so hopefully all goes well

Comment

Why not book it in now Gaz, for when the "Tool" has turned up? Will they let you do that?
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

I thought that.. He told me wait till nxt Friday then phone up

Comment

Working...
                              X