Stretched Timing Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretched Timing Belt

Hi guys, I am hoping someone can give me some advise!

9 months ago I bought a DS3 1.6VTI auto from my local Citroen dealer. As I opted for the finance, I added the extended warrenty for the term of the finance. Everything was going nice and smoothly up until a month ago. When the engine was cold it would make some really strange rattling noises from the engine bay. Anyway, seems I got the extra warranty I thought I would take it back to my dealer. After me ringing every Friday to find out what was going on, I was told that they were waiting for confirmation from Citroen to take apart the engine.

Today I received a call from the dealership saying that they have found the fault. A stretched timing chain. She then went on to tell me that they have spoken to the warranty company and they have declined to pay for the repair, as it was not sudden mechanical damage. She then said that the total cost for the repair would/will be £1450. But, because the car is so low mileage, Citroen or the dealer (cannot remember which) said they will pay 50% of the repair bill, leaving me with £725 to pay.

I paid £10,500 for the car 9 months ago and have only been driving it for 8 months. In that time, I have clocked up only around 2,000 miles.
    The car is a 2010 model but has only done 25,000 miles.
    Surly the timing chain should last longer than this? I even rang up the dealership and pretended to be a random customer and asked when the timing chain interval is. He said that they do not have an interval to replace them as they are a lot more reliable than timing belts.
    Seems I have only done 2,000 miles, would this have been faulty when I bought the car?

Can anyone advise on if I have a leg to stand on here? I really don't see why I should be liable for this repair!
    I was thinking about writing to Citroen direct instead of the dealer to see if anything can be resolved.
    If anyone has any tips on what I can say, it would be much appreciated!

Push for them to pay... I bought my car only had 12months warranty but had car 5months and they have already paid out for timing and tensioner and I have had to pay for nothing... Keep pushing for it.. sure you can complain to finance company saying car is not for for purpouse

Comment

The finance is with Santander. I will give them a call in the morning and see what they say.
      Would it be worth getting Citroen involved? Or just deal with the dealer direct?
      I think I will pop down tomorrow at some point and tell them I am not going to be paying to have it repaired. Suppose I will have to hand back the courtesy car!

Comment

Firstly, i would rigorously check the extended warranty wording as i would class timing chain stretch as catastrophic. If you dont get it repaired they gonna rebuild the engine? (Thats sudden mechanical damage for you) Pistons be all well and truly knackered. (Thats why theyve offered you something)
        Secondly- advise Citroen UK or at least ask them a question about the timing chain and should it fail as it appears it is doing, as CUK represent the people who made the vehicle- they have a reputation to maintain, especially on fairness, as timing chain issues are well known for failing especially early models.
        Thirdly, it may take some nerve, but hold on to the courtesy car, its your bargaining chip. Until you receive satisfactory notification of whats going to happen, dont go back to the dealership- keep fobbing them off and dont hurry doing anything- unless legal action is threatened.

Dont think your being treated at all fairly- and they will all try wriggling out

Think timing chains are 100,000 miles but its in the manual... might be a bit more

Lastly- the components for changing the timing chain and tensioner are not that pricey- take a look at ebay. A hundred or 2 maybe. Its the labour and whats involved thats costly. So try get a few different (Non citroen independant garages) quotes

Wish you well- hope it gets sorted (For nothing)
        Last edited by Chris_Blue; 05-11-2014, 22:33.
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Timing belts are meant to be changed ever 60k miles
          Or 3 years I believe. 2k miles is a joke. Kick off.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by #becauseracecar View Post
            Timing belts are meant to be changed ever 60k miles
            Or 3 years I believe. 2k miles is a joke. Kick off.
            We're talking chains here, not belts. Chains should last indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Either way 2k miles on a chain or belt is poor. Kick off.
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah I'd agree with the advice above, refuse to pay the £750, contact Citroen UK Customer Service and calmly explain what's happened and that a chain should not have failed on such a low mileage DS3.

As above, you'll need some patience but keep calmly talking to the dealer/finance company/Citroen UK etc and I'd hope they will back down and cover this replacement.

Let us know how you get on - good luck
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Understand what you say, but sure there is a recommendation in the manual- will check it out
                  And we all know,,, they dont last indefinitely!
                  sigpic
                  Jog on Noddy

Comment

Chains aren't indefinite, its like every car part, they'll need replaced at some stage, but not at 25k. I'd kick up a fuss and refuse to pay, have you rang Citroen UK?

Comment

I have typed up a letter and have sent it recorded to Citroen head office, the dealer's head office and my local dealer.
                      I was pretty carful when I typed the letter not to get angry etc. I basically said that would Citroen consider 25,000 an acceptable amount to replace a timing chain, and if they don't, would they waive the cost of the repair bill, or contact the warranty company explaining that it is in fact sudden mechanical damage and would in fact be covered by the warranty.

I will defiantly keep you guys posted!

Comment

Good luck !
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes- Go Barbs.. a little bit of fighting back never hurt the big boys yet, but may get you somewhere

I have to say, Ive had nothing but good services from my Dealers (Tates, Brighton Citroen dealership) up till now :-)
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Well the grief has started!
                            The dealer rang me yesterday saying that I would not be insured in the car as of 11:59PM last night as it was "no longer on fleet" so I need to drop off the car by the close of hours to swap courtesy car. 20 mins later I rang back and told them this will be possible and I will see them in 30 mins. The extremely rude service woman then told me that she had talked to the manager about me getting Citroen involved and I am no longer aloud to use a courtesy car. Also, that I would have to pay for the "diagnostics" when I drop off the car as it has gone out of the dealers hands.

As you can imagine, once I got to the dealer, I was seeing red! Very angry and ready for a pretty large argument if I had to.

I walked into the service department to be greeted by a very polite man, who had said that he had overheard what was going on, spoke to the manager and convinced him to give me a courtesy car until close of hours on Monday. He explained that he could not let me have the car any longer as he needs to hear from Citroen about what is actually going on. He also never asked me to pay a penny towards the repair bill. The rude, unhelpful lady we have been dealing with was no where to be found!

Anyway, I have spoken to Citroen and it has been passed onto a customer relations manager who will get back to me in 3 - 5 Days. So hopefully they get back to me Monday. Then I get to keep my courtesy car! If not.... then I don't really know what I am going to do about a car!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                              Firstly, i would rigorously check the extended warranty wording as i would class timing chain stretch as catastrophic. If you dont get it repaired they gonna rebuild the engine? (Thats sudden mechanical damage for you) Pistons be all well and truly knackered. (Thats why theyve offered you something)
                              Secondly- advise Citroen UK or at least ask them a question about the timing chain and should it fail as it appears it is doing, as CUK represent the people who made the vehicle- they have a reputation to maintain, especially on fairness, as timing chain issues are well known for failing especially early models.
                              Thirdly, it may take some nerve, but hold on to the courtesy car, its your bargaining chip. Until you receive satisfactory notification of whats going to happen, dont go back to the dealership- keep fobbing them off and dont hurry doing anything- unless legal action is threatened.

Dont think your being treated at all fairly- and they will all try wriggling out

Think timing chains are 100,000 miles but its in the manual... might be a bit more

Lastly- the components for changing the timing chain and tensioner are not that pricey- take a look at ebay. A hundred or 2 maybe. Its the labour and whats involved thats costly. So try get a few different (Non citroen independant garages) quotes

Wish you well- hope it gets sorted (For nothing)
                              I have to agree My car has done 77000 miles but I'd still expect the timing chain replaced for free up to at least 100,000 miles or would have insisted the dealer change it before I bought it as I would have done a cam belt at that mileage if not already done

Comment

Working...
                              X