No announcement yet.

Need New Rear Brakes, Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine probably didn't need doing but it was out of warranty so I gave it a good spring clean and fitted new tyres, brakes, oil, bulbs, recirc valve and various filters plus I had Jamie sprinkle some magic tuning dust over the engine.

Comment

Mines on 40k and still got loads of life left!!
      BumbleBee OneTwenteeee!

Comment

Not knowing much about brakes other than there are discs and pads, how long do discs last? How much of a lip is no good?
        Guessing the caliper has more and more to travel when both the disc and the pads get worn, until the caliper has so much to travel it just doesn't grip

So- would it be expected to just change pads after first 25k miles of so (At 1st service mine were 60% worn- assuming that was just pads) and leave the discs alone?

I know peeps are gonna say driving style etc etc

Sash- wow that's very good 40k- surely you've changed the pads?
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Sash View Post
          Mines on 40k and still got loads of life left!!
          You must have the seat too far back.

Comment

new brakes needed at 25k??? Do you drive with your left foot on the brake pedal?!!
            Brakes went at 13,000 and yeah... About 26k I think it is now...
            Happy days. The brakes on my Punto went due to age rather than wearing out! Friction material came away from the pads... No chance of that happening with my DS3 :-p

I'm sure mine arnt the only brakes wearing out every 13k miles?
            I do motorway and national limit back roads for maybe 95% of my driving... The DS3 is apparently an invisible vehicle to a lot of road users... -_-
            Last edited by MadMan0; 21-11-2014, 12:19.

Comment

My megane is hitting 100k still with original due a change this year .

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                Not knowing much about brakes other than there are discs and pads, how long do discs last? How much of a lip is no good?
                Guessing the caliper has more and more to travel when both the disc and the pads get worn, until the caliper has so much to travel it just doesn't grip

So- would it be expected to just change pads after first 25k miles of so (At 1st service mine were 60% worn- assuming that was just pads) and leave the discs alone?

I know peeps are gonna say driving style etc etc

Sash- wow that's very good 40k- surely you've changed the pads?
                nope, I checked them when I serviced it at 37k - all ok.

General rule of thumb is 2sets of pads to a set of discs. This however will depend how free your calipers are, whether your discs are badly scored etc
                BumbleBee OneTwenteeee!

Comment

Changed my rears at 10k inside of disc rusted to hell fronts at the same time now fronts are due to be replaced again at 36K
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-M...71187626414180

Pop in and give me a like

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynuts View Post
                    Changed my rears at 10k inside of disc rusted to hell fronts at the same time now fronts are due to be replaced again at 36K
                    that would indicate your caliper isn't working properly, any surface rust should be removed with an application of the right foot to the middle pedal!

Checked my pads today (just a cursory look through the wheel) the rears I would say are hardly worn and rhe fronts are probably 50-60% worn. No need to change them yet!
                    Last edited by Sash; 22-11-2014, 19:03.
                    BumbleBee OneTwenteeee!

Comment

that would indicate your caliper isn't working properly, any surface rust should be removed with an application of the right foot to the middle pedal!

Checked my pads today (just a cursory look through the wheel) the rears I would say are hardly worn and rhe fronts are probably 50-60% worn. No need to change them yet!
                      Well this is the 2nd DS3 I have owned and both had the rear discs changed before 10K with the same problem .I recon the material Citroen use is pretty naff

But mind you I do tend to use the brakes quite a bit

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynuts View Post
                        Well this is the 2nd DS3 I have owned and both had the rear discs changed before 10K with the same problem .I recon the material Citroen use is pretty naff

But mind you I do tend to use the brakes quite a bit
                        Ouch!
                        Mine get a fair hammering too not just from me but learners too!! Maybe they put proper pads and discs on the driving school lease cars :-p
                        BumbleBee OneTwenteeee!

Comment

Living in Milton Keynes dont help with all the bloody round a bouts but other than that I think I may pile on the miles not only here but in Europe this year has been a bit manic with things

Comment

Back in the olden days, disks lasted forever and we changed pads. In 2014 we aren't fans of carcinogenic lung disease so pads are made from different (more abrasive) materials hence why disks wear out quicker.

Comment

Had some tyres changed on the front today and while the wheels were off I had the opportunity to check the pads. Still got 9-10mm material left on them - so absolutely fine.
                              Cars done 41k on 1 set of tyres and 3 services. Cheap motoring if you ask me!
                              BumbleBee OneTwenteeee!

Comment

Checked my pads when putting on my winter wheels over the weekend- looked like a good 8 - 10mm on my pads too
                                Yet at my service last March they said they were 60% worn- that sound right?

Going for drilled and grooved discs next time round, hope theyre not too costly. Any suggestions on manufacturer?
                                sigpic
                                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                                X