Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Engine Oil

Hello,

Today after a trip at lunchtime, my message for service and low engine oil has started to appear once i start up the engine. I have no prompt lights permanently on.

When I got home I did the dipstick test about 30mins after parked up. Took it out, cleaned it, reinserted it, next to nothing appeared when I cleaned it again
    DS3 1.6. Got 18k miles on, had just over 3years. Had it MOT couple months ago however mix up in bookings i didnt get it serviced.

I will need to get it booked in pronto.

Is any kind of engine oil ok to put in to tide me over until the service? So that I could go out quickly and buy some asda/tesco if my dad doesnt have any lurking in the garage

Thanks

Lee

Citroen specifies a Total oil (ineo ecs)but as long as it meets citroen specs it is ok to use. Most oil will have car manufacturers names on the bottle somewhere that the oil is OK to use in.
    Last edited by cyclone; 13-10-2015, 16:56.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Thankyou ive had a look in the book, mentions 5W-30, so thats what im looking for.

This one lists that and citroen - http://groceries.asda.com/product/oi...2/910000979570

Comment

That is what I have bought to top our DS3 with.

Comment

Personally I'd get a decent brand and then make sure it's 5w-30, but the important thing is here that you get any 5w-30 oil in your engine if it's not showing any on the dipstick
          sigpic

Comment

yep, i bought a litre last night, put it in didnt see much on the dipstick. Tried it again this morning i see more than last night, it must have settled.

The warning light has gone and no service message too. How much should be in? Hopefully the litre will be fine until i get service?

Comment

If it was me I'd want the oil to be showing on the dipstick, yeah it's expense but it's cheaper than a damaged engine

The oil capacity for each engine is shown on pages 238 - 244 of the 2011 Handbook and P246 onwards of the 2013 handbook Look your engine type up and then you'll have an idea of the correct amount that should be in there.
              sigpic

Comment

Just did a check what Mobile and Shell oil is recommended for the DS3 THP. For Mobile it's Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 and for Shell: Shell Helix Ultra Professional AP-L 5W-30. The local garage has been using the Mobile oil although last time they used Shell.

Comment

The correct oil is
                  TOTAL QUARTZ INEO ECS 5W 30
                  & can be got for around £25 for 5ltrs if you search around
                  I believe it takes 1ltr to take the oil level from min to max on the dipstick
                  I always ensure that my oil level is at max & check at least once a week & I check it once the engine has been run for a few minutes to get the oil into the oil ways around the engine so when checked is still on max leaving the oil pump something to pump
                  Last edited by Markymark; 16-10-2015, 15:10.

Comment

The local garage has switched to Total oil because Citroen has apparently told them not to use anything else for the new motor types. Also Total is cheaper than Mobil or Shell.

Comment

Working...
                    X