Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P1497

Hi

I bought a Citroen DS3 DSTYLE + E-EDI (November 2013 registered) from Macklin Motors Hamilton South Lanarkshire a few week ago, I was driving it last week and my engine management light came on along with a message "Engine fault: Repair needed" on dash. I contacted Macklin Motors who advised me to continue driving it until the light and message turned RED!! I opted not to do this so after several phone calls and visits to Macklin and Citroen, Finnieston, Glasgow(As Macklin has advised it was still under warranty so wasn't their problem(Although they did sell me the car and I took an additional service package over 3 years as well as an additional maintenance package out over two years after warranty has expired costing hundreds of pounds) I eventually go my car into a Citroen garage(1 week ago) and after two days called for an update, having not yet heard back from Ross to be informed no light non message had appeared during the time my car was with them, however when I requested the report from the diagnostic machine to confirm this was the case and to confirm the car was indeed fit for purpose things changed, over a period of days I was advised there was no codes, there was codes but nothing concrete to work on. I have since spent several days trying to ascertain the fault codes, get an update with very little success as every time I called both branches I was given conflicting information, false information. Eventually yesterday the master tech from Citroen did state there was an ECU fault(P1497 fault code) and suggested this had been identified as a previous fault following testing on diagnostic machine. The master Tech Stuart stated the Soleniod valve and turbo charge was the concern/problem and would require to keep my car for a period of time. Citroen(Ross) stated until another code come on they can not act to repair/replace the matter and until they continue to drive the car around during test drives and activate another code so it's a waiting game. I have now spent some time researching the DS3 faults and in particular a P1497 fault and it appears that I am not the only person experiencing this particular problem. The car in still under warranty and I only bought it 3 weeks ago from Macklin Motors who have passed the matter to Citroen but I may contact Trading standards and seek some legal advice. Any suggestions/support welcome

Regards

Mandy

This might help, it's more to do with a brand new car but I'd think the principle still applies

Any item you purchase should be of ‘satisfactory quality’. This means any car you buy should:

- Get you from A to B without breaking down
    - Be free from faults
    - Be as it was described in any advertisement or brochure

If one or more of these criteria aren’t met, you’re within your rights to reject the car. In October 2015, the Consumer Rights Act replaced the Sale of Goods Act, so anyone who bought a car after 1 October 2015 is protected by these latest rules. The new Act is more rigorous than the law it replaced, giving consumers have greater rights than they did previously.
    One of the most important differences is that if you buy something that's found to be (or becomes) faulty during the first 30 days of ownership, you’re within your rights to reject it out of hand and receive a full refund.
    If you buy a car that becomes faulty after 30 days, but within six months from the time of purchase, the new Consumer Rights Act allows the dealer who sold it to you one attempt at repair. If this is unsuccessful, you’re entitled to a full refund – or a partial refund, taking into account the mileage and wear and tear the car has experienced since you took delivery.
    Do bear in mind that certain car parts are considered ‘wear and tear’ items. This means that things like brakes, tyres, wheel bearings and clutches aren’t covered – although you should expect these to last longer than six months, unless you’ve been driving very hard.

Before you reject a faulty car

While it's possible to reject a faulty new car and you’re entitled to do so (particularly if problems occur within 30 days of purchase) it's often best to let the dealer try to remedy any issues itself first. Rejecting a car can be a lengthy process, not least because you’ll have to go through the hassle of finding another car. It's often easier for you (and the dealer) to try to fix things first. Make sure you get any work agreed in writing and understand what costs (if any) are associated with the work.

If you reject a car

If you do decide to reject a car, this must be done within six months of taking delivery. Rejecting a car is a very matter-of-fact business: you take your car, together with both sets of keys and all documentation to the dealer, along with a letter setting out your reasons for rejecting the car. Be as specific and objective as you can be and remember to keep a copy of this letter for yourself.
    The dealer may refuse to accept your rejection and if this happens you should go straight to the manufacturer, which may be able to negotiate with the dealer on your behalf.

Rejecting a car purchased on finance

If you’ve used a finance package such as a PCP agreement or Personal Contract Hire to purchase your car, rejecting it can be trickier. That's because while you’re the registered keeper, the car remains the property of the finance company until you’ve made the last payment.
    If you’ve used a carmakers’ own financial department to buy the car, things should be slightly easier than with a third-party financier. The finance company should be your first port of call, as it’ll need to negotiate with the dealer that supplied the car. Try to speak to a specific individual from the finance company and use them as your point of contact throughout any negotiations. Make sure to follow up any phone calls in writing, too.
    If you’re having difficulties with the finance company, the Financial Conduct Authority may be able to provide some support, or at least explain your rights further. The AA, RAC or Trading Standards should also be able to help in more general terms.

Rejecting a car: final thoughts

Rejecting a car should always be your last possible avenue, should you buy a faulty car. It can be a difficult and frustrating process (despite the law being fairly clear-cut) and any goodwill you may have built up with the dealer will be lost. Despite this, if your car hasn’t been repaired to your satisfaction or you’ve lost faith in it due to the volume and scope of problems, sometimes the last resort is a tactic that needs to be brought into play. If this is the case, knowing your rights is the first step of the process.

Last edited by visitor59; 20-07-2016, 11:51.
    [

Comment

Just got this fault code come up on mine- engine runs and sounds fine

Wow- don't Citroen want a lot to diagnose the fault … £138.... and thats before they start repair...................Hmmmmm

So- plan is, after already having RAC come out for free, and clear the codes, cos they didnt make sense (Absent DPF, speed sensor faulty) and using CATACLEAN to clean the Cat, the fault came up
      My Renault fault remover doesn't fit, so ordered a specific Citroen DS3 one to remove fault codes, then see if they come back. (Might be lack of vacuum in petrol tank- new cap needed)

Gonna try the old "disconnect the battery" for 10 mins, see if that has an effect

My gut is telling me Cat converter, maybe LAMBDA sensor/ MAF sensor, but lets see

Then once Ive had a play and failed- local garage down the road will have a look for £36... but not a Citroen expert. Good reviews- just cant think of giving Citroen that amount just for a diagnosois

But like us all, bet I end up at Citroen. LOL
      Last edited by Chris_Blue; 22-07-2019, 21:50.
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
      X