No announcement yet.

Risk of Particle Filter Clogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The same message and warning light came up on mine during a recent tour of the Highlands. Took it to the dealers who claimed a sensor was at fault and duly replaced it.
    This seems to have worked as I'm not getting the warnings anymore. Try it and see?
    BTW dealer main techie said DPF should normally last 80 - 100,00 miles; I'd only done 14,700 at the time.
    Boomerangs are just frisbees for lonely people!!!! :snowy0:

Comment

Thats a coincidence Jon because I live in the highlands and the DS3 has done just over 14500 miles now. I'm going to call main dealer tomorrow. Get them to look at said sensor. Do you know what sensor it was that failed on your car??

Originally posted by Jon View Post
      The same message and warning light came up on mine during a recent tour of the Highlands. Took it to the dealers who claimed a sensor was at fault and duly replaced it.
      This seems to have worked as I'm not getting the warnings anymore. Try it and see?
      BTW dealer main techie said DPF should normally last 80 - 100,00 miles; I'd only done 14,700 at the time.

Comment

It would have been the exhaust differential pressure sensor.
        It's not wise to use fuel additives to try and clean the DPF with the HDi's.
        Besides, these additives are more for prevention of clogging, not actual cleaning when already blocked.
        If a forced regeneration doesn't clear the soot levels your faced with three alternatives, buy a new DPF, have the DPF professionally refurbished or have it totally removed.
        Most manufactures treat DPF's as a wear and tear part, which means you'll probably have to pay for it

www.SPTuning.co.uk
        White on red THP
        Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie@SPTuning View Post
          Most manufactures treat DPF's as a wear and tear part, which means you'll probably have to pay for it
          Not something you want to have to do ! ££££ !

Suppose you could take it to Jamie so he can delete it for you

Be the DS3 Guinea pig !

Comment

BP Do an Ultimate Diesel fuel too I believe- they reckon it cleans as it burns
            Wont use anything other than BP Ultimate unleaded in my THP for the same reason- cleans as burns
            CBLUE
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

If it came down to it I would just get the thing removed and deleted. The DPF's are only there for emissions and every regeneration does not get them 100% clean and there will always be a little more left over. Hence the 80-100k lifespan of the things. They slow down air flow, cost you MPG and sap power. In the long run they are actually worse for the enviroment because when they do regenerate, what do you think happens to all that gunk in the filter!!!!

So in short they cost you more power, more fuel and make the air even dirtier.....what were the governing modies and car manufacturers thinking!!

Comment

Don't be so fast to blame the filter system, most likely what is happening is 'waxing' of the diesel as most fuel stations won't have started switching over the fuel system to winter grades. Open the fuel cap and take a close look around the neck for signs of white liquid, because of the cold the diesel starts to solidify which in turn causes issues for the DPF.

We did cover this before in another thread somewhere, hopefully a helpful Admin will come along and post the link
                ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                Bigfeet's File Repository
                The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
                  hopefully a helpful Admin will come along and post the link
                  So.........................not Joni then!

Jimbob

Comment

I'm new to this forum and have been especially interested in this Particulate Filter Thread as I too have been having the problem. Anyone know if Citroen are doing anything about this? Recall for example.
                    Bought my DS3 in May 2Hi.011 and I've done 16,000 miles. My 1st Forced Regeneration was done in Feb 2012 after 5000miles. After several more warning messages throughout the Summer being cleared without a regeneration, Citroen eventually agreed to replace the Particulate Filter under warranty in Sept 2012 at 10,700 miles.After less than 2 months the warning light appeared again and was cleared by Citroen without a regeneration as no diagnostic problem was shown.
                    I have since noticed the Filter and Service light appearing 3 more times but each time it cleared itself. Then on 20th Feb. at 15,500 miles I had to return to Citroen again for another regeneration to clear the warning messages.
                    Now the messages have appeared again after only 550 miles since the last regeneration.Although Citroen tell me it is caused by doing too many short journeys, I do in fact intersperse these short journeys with long and medium trips which seems like normal usage to me.This time the car was used to travel to London(a 250 mile journey) and on the return trip the filter and service lights have appeared again.
                    Surely if any new car is purchased it should be fit to drive in any sensible manner the owner choses without having to consider if the right speed or revs are being done for a long enough period at the right temperature.
                    What's going happen when the car is out of warranty? Any comments or suggestions before I once again visit my Citroen Dealer?
                    Thanking you all in anticipation.

Monte.

Comment

Get rid of your DPF like me ? xD

Comment

Just thrash it everywhere and stop worrying it clears its self after a while and then that's the last I know just ignore this message cause quite frankly it's pointless!! Yes more miles booting it will help so go for a long and excited drive and it'll be fine... Or not your choice haha ill probably be criticised for giving advice again anyway

Comment

Yy
                          Originally posted by Jamie@SPTuning View Post
                          It would have been the exhaust differential pressure sensor.
                          It's not wise to use fuel additives to try and clean the DPF with the HDi's.
                          Besides, these additives are more for prevention of clogging, not actual cleaning when already blocked.
                          If a forced regeneration doesn't clear the soot levels your faced with three alternatives, buy a new DPF, have the DPF professionally refurbished or have it totally removedType

www.SPTuning.co.uk
                          I believe the original focus has the DPF as an item to be replaced at the 70k(ish) service. Costly!

Comment

I've done over 200K on 110Hdi engines and cannot find any way to drive that does not eventually make the ight come on!

Drving economically definitely does not help as it does usually come on when the display is saying you are over 65mpg (approx 60 in real life). But I have driven it hard too for 500 miles and still get the same fault!

It definitely clears after 3 full start/stop cycles and then comes back within 50-200 miles. I've had a new dpf and only use BP and still it fails! The system only logs the fault when it is active, so if the service light has gone off, then they cannot see the fault!!!

The dpf was replaced 500 miles ago and I managed 200 miles before the light came on, both myself and the garge are baffled!!!!

mark

Comment

Just bumping this thread.

My service light came up this morning on my way to work, with the message "risk of filter blocking"
                              I've have only had the car for a month, and driven around 1600 km so for (the cars total km is 57.000 km. (35.000miles).

What have you people done with your service light? Cleaning, removing or what?

Comment

Give the car a good trash and you should be good!

Seriously what you need to do is drive the car in a lower gear at speed, you need to get the exhaust hot and well as the engine to kick start to regen process.
                                ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                                Bigfeet's File Repository
                                The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Working...
                                X