Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risk of Particle Filter Clogging

Hi,

I have been getting this message (along with the service light coming on) intermittently for a few days now. There seems to be no logig to it as i can come on when I am doing 70+mph or when i am doing below 20mph.

Anyone had this.

It's easy enough to check. Just get a torx set and remove the cover at the back of the engine bay and give it a clean.
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

The handbook suggests that it is to do with the diesel particulate filter rather than air filter.

Comment

have you tried that long drive at whatever speed the handbook suggests. It has worked for other diesel owners. don't remember the details. have a THP myself
        Originally posted by cyclone
        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
        Originally posted by Broda
        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Its been discussed on here a couple of times and the opinion is it needs a 30-40 minute drive on the motorway at 50+ mph to regenerate the filter. Needs a good thrash basically

Comment

Def dosn't need a thrash, I do 60 miles each way to work every day and 50 miles of that is on dual carriagway doing speeds of beween 50 and 70mph (well maybe a bit more!!). This morning the message was flashing away at me when I was doing a bit mor for several miles at the end of the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
              It's easy enough to check. Just get a torx set and remove the cover at the back of the engine bay and give it a clean.
              What A Tool...

Comment

yes get exactly the same keeps coming on even though im up and down the motorway most weekends no performance issues just annoying when it keeps coming on

Comment

Have a quick look here at my post and see if you are suffering from it as well.

http://ds3club.co.uk/showthread.php?...ault-indicator
                  ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                  Bigfeet's File Repository
                  The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Mine has just flagged up the same today (maybe it's a DS3 equivalent of car-flu :eek - anywho the other half is going to give it a run to her parents tonight (130 ish miles each way) and I'll be giving it a run to Hertford at the weekend (80 miles each way ish) so it'll get a good run over the next few days!

Comment

Mine has done this every day for the last week. No pattern to it - just random... It happened more when the temps were in the minus , but still happening now!

Comment

Can't see any white film around the filler cap Biggy.

Just to update it has not done it since Saturday in line with the weather warming up.

I believe the system pumps an addative into the fuel to raise the temperature enough to burn off the particulate and it would appear that there is a fault with this system when the temperatures are very cold outside. I will see how it goes over the next few days.

I also take it that the cars ECU will record the fault and the garage can take a look at the next service, although I can guess what will be done about it, ends in 'all'!!

Comment

Yep. mine started doing this recently too and since last night its everytime the car sits at around 3250rpm. I took the car out for a 30 min spin earlier and thrashed it right up to the red line, driving it in low gears to keep revs high at around 4000rpm did about 10 miles and it still came up with the fault. I bought some of the additive of ebay in case it had ran out but after jacking the car up today I simply cannot find where the additive is stored to fill it up. DPF filters are supposed to last at least 80k miles and the additive is supposed to last 20k I think. it is very cold up here just now hovering around 0 degrees. I wonder if this is a fault which will need a recall. If my DPF filter clogs up before 40k miles I will me majorly pee'd off..... Does anybody know where the additive is stored???

Comment

With my limited knowledge on diesel fuel- it dont like the cold. Co-agulates or something
                            Get that additive in would be the first consideration I would guess
                            Maybe particulate filters need burning off more than just now and again- twice a week say
                            Hope all gets better for the DPF crew
                            CBLUE
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by ZACK View Post
                              What A Tool...
                              Very clever Zack - I agree - what a tool a good torx set is!!!

Jimbob

Comment

Working...
                              X