Front brake noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake noise

I took my 110hdi to be checked over as the brakes were making a grinding noise. This was after only 4,500 miles and the pads are nowhere
    near worn. The Head Ctech at the dealers duly test drove it and put it through the workshop. When he returned the car to me he asked how much the car was used and when I replied it was a "weekend" car he stated that was the answer; because the car stood for long periods unused, the discs were corroding. He also stated that modern brakes were manufactured to a higher environmentally friendly recipe and this was also to blame.
    He basically told me to drive it more and to brake harder to keep the discs clean. I am not amused, especially as it has started to do it again.
    Anyone else have a similar problem? Surely a car should be able to stand for three or four days without this occurring?
    Last edited by Jon; 12-02-2012, 00:03.
    Boomerangs are just frisbees for lonely people!!!! :snowy0:

Perfectly normal, especially in wet weather. Like they said break hard and it will clean the rust off and will work normal after that.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
      Perfectly normal, especially in wet weather. Like they said break hard and it will clean the rust off and will work normal after that.
      So why has it never happened with previous "weekend" cars?
      Boomerangs are just frisbees for lonely people!!!! :snowy0:

Comment

I have a dsport and the brakes grind especially when cold.When the brakes have warmed up they still grind but not as loud.The car has done 2000 miles.
        My girlfriend also got a ds3 but the Dstyle plus and the brakes also grind on this car.This has done 1100 miles.I spoke to citreon service and was told its nothing to worry about.If I was worried they would book it in but I would have to leave either car all day which was not convenient at the time.On inspection they would let me know if there was a problem and check if it was covered under warranty.What a joke under warranty lol

Comment

this has always been a problem on citroens, go over to c2 club and search for brakes grinding- hundreds of threads. i think citroen said it was something that was in the pads that cause it.
          C2 GT #2003

LIFE HAS RULES & SO DO THESE FORUMS.... DS3Club rules: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Den View Post
            this has always been a problem on citroens, go over to c2 club and search for brakes grinding- hundreds of threads. i think citroen said it was something that was in the pads that cause it.
            Interesting post.I asked my dealer first if there is a problem with brakes grinding with such little mileage and they said I was the first.But then that's the reply you would expect I guess.
            Going to take both cars in on Thursday and see what they say.Better be covered by the warranty.Will post the outcome.

Comment

From Wiki
              The discs are commonly made from cast iron and a certain amount of what is known as "surface rust" is normal. The disc contact area for the brake pads will be kept clean by regular use, but a vehicle that is stored for an extended period can develop significant rust in the contact area that may reduce braking power for a time until the rusted layer is worn off again.

From AA
              Cast iron is an ideal material for brake components, but can corrode easily.
              With most of the braking force done by the front brakes, any surface rust is quickly cleaned off by the action of the pads on the discs.

From JD Power
              If your car has been sitting after being exposed to water, such as from rain or from washing it. The moisture can cause a thin layer of rust to develop on the brake rotors. This is normal. When you first apply the brakes, the pads pressing on the rust-covered rotors may cause a squeal for a few stops until the rust is worn off and then the sound will disappear.

From Honest John
              It's normal for discs, if a car is often left for long periods and is not braked very hard. Discs are bare metal and corrode all the time, but developing rust is cleaned off when you brake.
              Originally posted by cyclone
              It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
              Originally posted by Broda
              I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Mine were grinding like b*ggery (and squealing too) last week after a long drive on heavily gritted, salty roads followed by an overnight stop at -12C, but after a few leaden-footed applications they returned to normal. It's probably just a combination of salt, grit and moisture - nothing to worry about.

Comment

rear discs suffer more than the front by having less braking force put through them, and having the pads clamped to them by the handbrake when parked up.

Any salty moisture hanging around seems to gather around the edges of the pad and etch the outline of the pad into the disc - now that can take some serious braking to shift!

Since my drive is flat I leave the handbrake off when it's wet - seems to reduce the disc damage
                  Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

Thought I'd bump this as was going to make a post but did a search 1st.

Just covered over 300 miles on my car now at just over a week old and my brakes are making a grinding noise - esp at low speeds.
                    Was nice and dry this morning and got to work and parked up. I left 6 hours later and the grinding is there straight away at no more than 5mph.
                    Is this deffo normal as its car number 7 now I've had in 2 and half years with no other one doing this? Only hear this on other motors I've had if recently washed car or very wet?

Comment

Originally posted by matt2012 View Post
                      Thought I'd bump this as was going to make a post but did a search 1st.
                      Hurrah !!!

Comment

I used to have an Aygo. it had only done 4000miles when Toyota told me i needed new disks and callipers cus they had corroded due to lack of usage! i was not impressed as they said it wouldn't be done under warranty. so i got a mate to change them, they where badly pitted on the inside. but you'd think a 1year old car wouldn't have that problem (wel i thought anyway). Any ways i dont have that problem with the ds3 and im doing about the same amount of mileage.
                        “In less enlightened times, the best way to impress women was to own a hot car. But women wised up and realized it was better to buy their own hot cars so they wouldn't have to ride around with jerks.” - Scott Adams

Comment

Just had a call from service reception to say my car was ready to collect.They have cleaned the rust off the discs and that no fault was found.I asked has the noise gone and the reply was yes.
                          We shall see when I pick up my car.

Comment

Still Grinding.Job sheet said front discs cleared of rust.(there was none)

Comment

Mine do same.. just had a service today and brakes are fine.. even after 12,500 miles...
                              Red / Black HDi 90 .............. If you see me give me a Toot

Comment

Working...
                              X