Trying to check engine oil level 2011 150THP DSport+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to check engine oil level 2011 150THP DSport+

When engine warm it is v difficult to check oil level using dipstick as oil level not easy to see (it appears at top of dipstick level as far as I can make out). When cold I can see it is 1/3 of the way up the min/max level on the stick, does anyone know if that translates to 'full' level when hot pls? (the dashboard oil level indicator displays oil level ok but I want to make sure.

When it;s warm the oil will expand ever so slightly plus you have the height gain from the circulation splashes. Dipstick out- wipe it down check again. It should be within tolerances when hot AND cold
    http://db.tt/tJZ0ZQG1
    Black on Black DSports+ THP 155 16v Custom Remap to 193BHP; 230lb/ft

Comment

Should check the level when cold. When hot there is oil in the engine that has not yet drained back to sump, and if you toped off your oil then could lead to overfilling which is bad.
      Last edited by cyclone; 28-07-2012, 09:30.
      Originally posted by cyclone
      It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
      Originally posted by Broda
      I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

thus- make sure it's within tolerances when hot AND cold

Comment

Just checked the handbook and it says to wait at least 30 min. after switching the eng off to check the oil. so do that and cant go wrong.
          Originally posted by cyclone
          It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
          Originally posted by Broda
          I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

yep- will hardly be cold then will it. you'll get half of the drainage by then. Checking when hot makes sure you haven't overfilled but for god's sake don't check it when you've just done a 500 mile journey doing 1 00MPH- the oil will be a little bit warm and you may get some splashback- it kind of chaffs.

Best practice as cyclone says is to check when cool. Gives the true volume in the actual sump and is quite a bit safer

Comment

Thx for the replies, I try to check oil when car has stood for 30 mins after a run (wow this engine seems to run hot though although temo guage is normal) but prob is oil is so this and clean you cant see where it comes between the min and max levels on the dipstick so I think it is to the full level. The dipstick is made of a kind of coiled steel and its not poss to see where the oil is and isnt along the coil (my other car has a flat smooth dipstick and dead easy to see where the level is). Just wondered if anyone had noticed whether 2/3 way from low to high on dipstick = full when engine warm?

Comment

I haven't really checked that closely to be honest- use a flashlight when checking- makes it easier

Comment

Ensure the vehicle is on level ground too- that affects the level !!!!
                  CBLUE
                  sigpic
                  Jog on Noddy

Comment

Reading the oil level when cold is not a true impression. Checking after 30 minutes means most of the oil will be back in the sump, but it will still be warm and 'runny'.

Comment

Originally posted by Inforwards View Post
                      When engine warm it is v difficult to check oil level using dipstick as oil level not easy to see
                      OMG...

Some people shouldn't be allowed cars...

Comment

Originally posted by ZACK View Post
                        OMG...

Some people shouldn't be allowed cars...
                        With you there!

Comment

I knew someone once (Sorry to be sexist but she was female) and she told me she had difficulty topping up the oil in her car
                          She told me how she did it and i sussed she was only trying to pour it down the bleeding dipstick reader oriface!!!
                          Did I laugh!!! Did she like me anymore.....NO! (Wrong response by me)
                          CBLUE
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                          X