Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ragnarok View Post
    I would imagine you Saudis could afford something better than a DS3
    Key word here is "I would imagine" .. I was going to get a corolla or a camry but thank god I got a DS3

Comment

Originally posted by Fooda View Post
      Key word here is "I would imagine"
      Three words?

Comment

The thought process is out on whether to delete the rear PCV and catch can other side
        Or leave PCV and catch can
        And a fair few don't delete, and no catch can. So only time will tell is my guess
        And how your own particular engine is running
        Would catch can if problems started myself, not sure bout the delete.
        Theres several opinions
        Apparently the PVC pipe is different on the 155 compared to the 150s- its a bit wider when it goes into top of engine, so less stuff gets stuck
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
          The thought process is out
          I spent several hours looking through the forums on this and there is currently no definitive 'guide'.
          The reason I'm interested is my Sport 150 (2010 and 20k miles) is out of warranty so il get some work done on it.

The problem is I have yet to see a "Do X, Y, Z and your issue will disappear/not appear".

I found a Mini owners club that went into the issue in a lot of depth, and from reading the hundreds of posts I concluded that for me following actions are worth adopting as both a preventative measure and to heal any lurking issues.

In order of severity/expense.

1 Use decent Fuel (might take a couple of tanks to notice the benefit).

2 Use a decent Air filter

3 Run some BG 44K Power Enhancer Fuel System Cleaner through the system

4 Engine remap (I assume to tailor the system to that specific engine ie fuel/air mixtures)

5 Fitting a catch-can.

Now the first four I already have planned but after reading several articles on catch cans, there is more to them than just attaching a can to catch stuff, they need to be designed and made specifically for that engine taking pressure and moisture molecule size into account.

Like I said this is the info I gleaned from reading a number of forums so its more of a squad average than specific 'per expert' information.

Thoughts.

Comment

^ ^ ^ Good post Superfly
            1 & 2 completely agree, 2 especially with 4, remap.

3- Honestly don't know, but have heard chit-chat that additives don't help much, but then again, why not if it doesn't hurt

5- agree again. Ive spoken to professionals that have had catch cans fitted, and hardly any crud collected (THP). And also PCV deleted and a stutter started, so put the PVC pipe back on! On the Racing tuned engine, it seems the catch can is almost a must, and know people that swear by it as it removes a lot of crud. Also there are people that have not touched their Racing engine, done anything up to 20k miles and have not altered anything at all.

The Forge catch can position wise (Placed top of engine) may not be placed best, and also as its a flattened container anything collected sloshes about, back down the pipes?

There is a catch can device due to come out soon by an independent, that looks pretty good IMO. Will wait till it comes out but it did look good.

As said, the PVC pipes in the THP 155s are wider at the neck than the THP150s, so that may help the 155s, but for how long

Obvious hint is never let the oil get below minimum- there are info rapides going back to 2010/2011, when they changed the oil from half synthetic, to fully synthetic for the THPs, that if oil gets low, the engines pretty much had it (Note low rather than empty)

Im that keen I check oil daily with some interesting results

The piston breaking issue- its either manufactured out of parameters like heat and pressures, or cars are being driven too hard, whether they be standard or not. Obvoiusly standard engines should not suffer piston damage the whole of its life, and modified should be OK unless the power output is significantly increased IMO

So jurys out- its if there are any problems with the engine start, then apply one of the fixs. If not, would leave alone but monitor

As usual, just my thoughts after speaking to people
            Last edited by Chris_Blue; 10-09-2013, 07:57.
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Honestly don't know, but have heard chit-chat that additives don't help much, but then again, why not if it doesn't hurt
              Its not an additive as such in that on its own it doesn't improve performance, but there is a hell of a lot of anecdotal evidence that it is the best engine cleaner going. Plenty of people (owners and engineers) on performance and luxury car sites saying it is being used by the likes of BMW and Merc instead of a physical decoke.

Comment

Adding to what you guys are saying, I think getting a better intercooler is a very good idea as it will bring the temperature of the air in the intake down, and that should reduce carbon build-up in the intake, PCV system and around the valves in the engine. And with a catch can in place it will reduce the amount of oil vapor going into the intake and the rest of the engine and it should cure the issue.

This is my theory on the problem and I'm gonna try to get a catch can and an intercooler and see how it goes.

There's a good catch can that Czar recommended as it has filters that slow the air down when it goes into the can and it catches the oil vapor, it's made by 42 design, if you google it you'll find it and it's not expensive at all.

I hope what I'm saying is making sense :P

Comment

May well look into that Superfly, and Fooda I agree with catch can, and adding an intercooler as a preventative measure is interesting
                  sigpic
                  Jog on Noddy

Comment

There's a good catch can that Czar recommended as it has filters that slow the air down when it goes into the can and it catches the oil vapor, it's made by 42 design, if you google it you'll find it and it's not expensive at all.
                    Is Czar the guy from the Mini club site, if so he knows his stuff, didn't he fabricate catchcans for some members, it was his thread that mentioned a catchcan is a bit more than a box you put tubes into.

@ CB, have a google and there is some good stuff on BG 44K, a lot of stuff from the US and some more recent from the UK.

Comment

Nice one Superfly- had a 150 before the 155 Ive got.
                      But I am a "If it aint broke don't fix it" especially as still warrantied
                      Still like a back up plan- so will follow your suggestion
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Nice one Superfly- had a 150 before the 155 Ive got.
                        But I am a "If it aint broke don't fix it" especially as still warrantied
                        Still like a back up plan- so will follow your suggestion
                        With 20k on the clock there is probably some buildup, most of those miles were 70 - 80 mph on motorways so not really thrashing it, when im away it hardly gets used, ive been away six weeks and the wife has used 1/4 tank of fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly Guy View Post
                          Is Czar the guy from the Mini club site, if so he knows his stuff, didn't he fabricate catchcans for some members, it was his thread that mentioned a catchcan is a bit more than a box you put tubes into.
                          That is him, he posts on here sometimes too but since his father past on he hasn't been here much at all. Last I saw from facebook he was having power issues with his mini gp
                          Originally posted by cyclone
                          It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                          Originally posted by Broda
                          I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

$235 plus shipping. I wouldn't call it cheap. I imported once from the US that was recommended for VAG cars a few years back. very well built and did catch a lot of crud, though it was on the VAG BKD Diesel engine. think i paid around $100 for it.

http://www.saikoumichi.com/

mine is this one.

http://www.saikoumichi.com/951_page.htm
                            Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

I got a 155THP and I have had my timing chain replaced at 11K miles ....

All fixed now though and running fine .....got me some free 3D lights out of it too :-)
                              ***** Clio 182 182BHP - SOLD *****
                              ***** DS3 DSport Plus 155THP - SOLD *****
                              ***** Audi S3 300BHP - KEEPING *****
                              ***** DS3 Performance Black 210THP - CANCELLED ORDER *****

sigpic

Comment

My car is actually a THP150 not a 155.. sorry about that! The dealer couldn't reproduce the fault (typically) when they took it out. They cleared a couple of error messages apparently but said to bring it in if it happens again! They didn't check the oil on the engine but I have to take it back in next week to get the washer pump replaced so will get them to check that then!

Comment

Working...
                                X