oil catch can question if I may...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil catch can question if I may...

Hi guys , firstly what a great Forum, I have been reading it most of the afternoon and need some advice..

I have just bought ( today ) a DS3 THP for the Mr's, its one of the first registered March 2010 and has a very low 9k . It certainly looks a great car, however it did present with a problem on the test drive and after spending the afternoon going round and round in circles on the tinterweb it appears that ALOT of these GDI engines have this issue :rolleyes: on the test drive i slowly allowed it to warm up then gave it some beanze.... cue 3 loud pinking noises , stutter then all okay. The seller was a lady who had it from new, probably never went over 3k so I didnt worry too much about it.

So 5 hours of reading later Im of the opinion that I need the Peugeot blanking plugs for the PCV delete mod and or a oil can catch system? My question is ( and apologies if I have missed this whilst searching ) what OCC would you recommend? I did read on a Mini Cooper S site 14 pages of someone who was going to make them then didnt bother ..!

I paid a good price for it and I dont mind a little spanner wheeling to get this sorted before it lunches a piston .

Any advice gratefully received

Hi

Welcome to the club, tbh I don't think I've ever seen one catch can that all agreed should be for everyone to fit, did you check out the 'Similar Threads' at the bottom of the page ?

Oh don't forget to post some pics of your car
    sigpic

Comment

If the car has a stutter (which is a classic sign) then it may already be suffering from carbonisation on the inlet valves which will need to be cleaned off as nice hot glowing bits will break off and cause pre ignition detonation or pinking as it may be doing already.

Cleaning up a badly carbonised up inlet is not just a seafoam treatment either it's quite a job to do properly and very expensive for what is just a clean up not even a fix. I hope the price you paid allows you plenty of time for a lot of spanner wheeling.

A catch can is a good possible preventative measure that is well worth doing to stop this carbon build up or at least slow it down. There doesn't seem to be a definitive fix but newer models have revised PCV systems involving changes in the rocker cover galleries and PCV system on the inlet manifold (not intake side to the turbo low pressure intake piping).

This isn't what you will want to hear but my advice to anyone test driving a DS3 THP which has a stutter on acceleration going from city to highway speeds in fourth would be not to buy it.

Comment

Hi Pionte, welcome to the club
        Search the web for Hangar111 as they have developed a catch can set up, which is in the final stages of sorting out, before they put on the market
        He (Greg) may also be able to offer more in depth advice for you too

ED Try that BGK44 stuff- might help. If I ever get a stutter, will use it straight away. May even use it when no signs of any stutter
        Cleaning agent cant hurt
        Last edited by Chris_Blue; 08-12-2013, 08:49.
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Hi Pionte, I have a 2010 THP DSport with 7500 miles on the clock, I am running some BG44K through my system now, have used about a quarter of a tank and have started to notice a difference already welcome to the club
          DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
          Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Hi Guys, thank you for the warm welcome and the top drawer advice.

Having personally run Company cars ( diesels at that ) for the last 20 plus years and a 30 year old VW camper van I had no idea about this issue, indeed uptill yesterday I was blissfully un aware .....

What a design flaw !

I cant believe that any manufacture would think that 3 years and 9k miles is expectable from an engine .. The stutter was only felt the once, and reading up the conditions that led to it are typical ie allow to warm up then floor it....

I will definitely be looking into the blanking plugs asap, and then a suitable catch can system. I think I will speak to my local main dealer tomorrow and see how receptive they are about doing a "good will" clean on the engine for me, it is obviously 6 months out of warranty but I wonder if they will do some sort of reduced cost. Out of interest how much do they charge ?

The BG44K seems like a good idea to clean the injector side of things, but im not sure how it will help though as from my understanding the whole problem is because the fuel doesnt pass through the inlet path.

My misses loves the car... so I will need to get a handle on this and sort it before it gets terminal !

Comment

Hi yes catch can is the way forward as chris said hangar111 catch can I have one on my racing give Greg a call .
              DS3 RACING | SUPERCHIPPED 233bhp/321nm | ITG INDUCTION

sigpic

Comment

Interested to hear your feedback on BGK44 next Saturday at Guildford Gaz.
                Will get some soon I think, just up to 11,000 mile ATM
                Superfly guy used it on his THP150 and sure he said he had a little stutter and it helped with that, even thought these are GDI engines, it may help elsewhere
                Pionte- premium fuel too- use BP Ultimate me, as it claims it is cleaner fuel
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                  Interested to hear your feedback on BGK44 next Saturday at Guildford Gaz.
                  Will get some soon I think, just up to 11,000 mile ATM
                  Superfly guy used it on his THP150 and sure he said he had a little stutter and it helped with that, even thought these are GDI engines, it may help elsewhere
                  Pionte- premium fuel too- use BP Ultimate me, as it claims it is cleaner fuel
                  Yea will do Chris and I also use BP ultimate, a bit more expensive but worth the money I think

Comment

The only stuff for inlet valves i know of today is this stuff: http://www.forteuk.co.uk/product.php...ol_IMV_Cleaner
                    Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Originally posted by Toxic View Post
                      The only stuff for inlet valves i know of today is this stuff: http://www.forteuk.co.uk/product.php...ol_IMV_Cleaner
                      Would love to give this a go but after reading the instructions I wouldn't have a clue lol

Comment

Originally posted by ds3r View Post
                        Hi yes catch can is the way forward as chris said hangar111 catch can I have one on my racing give Greg a call .
                        Thank you ( and Chris ) for the suggestion of hangar111, I have looked at their website but it doesnt list ( yet ? ) a catch can ... I will try and give them a call and speak to them.

I have read soooo much over the weekend that my head is spinning ! I am a qualified mechanic ( in a previous life ! ) so I understand mostly what I have read, but I am a little confused so maybe you guys can offer some clarification.

The PCV delete plugs... these would go in place of the pipe from the left of the rocker cover ( viewed from the front of the car ) and the other end on the right side ? then the oil catch can ( proper one with baffles etc ) would go on the Turbo pipe ? and it is recommended that these both be implemented ? the reason I am unsure is that the Forge system http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...roduct=FMCTDS3 seems to go to the Turbo side, but this version http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...Catch-Can.html appears to go on the rear INSTEAD of the delete plugs should go ? Am I missing something lol... How often and how difficult is it to empty?

The car wont be re mapped ( for a while at least ) so has anyone reported issues running as standard with increased pressure inside the rocker cover after using the PCV delete ?

I am happy ( kinda ) to spend money to hopefully protect the engine, so although the Forge system is very expensive I would concider it if it does the job, although I am wondering if it is more for race situations, IE full boost for long periods of time... the Mr's get scared and makes a funny noise everytime I hit 3k revs ! so 99% of the time the car will have a very easy life... exactly the worse conditions for oil and gunk to form in the PCV pipe ! So is the other catch can a better idea which I believe is INSTEAD of the PCV delete ??

Thanks again...

Comment

Obvs the jury is still out as to what works most effectively, and as far as I understand (Not a mechanic) the best option is to delete the rear PCV with the 2 caps, and take the pipe out, and the front PCV pipe (RHS of engine up top/ visible) stick a catch can in with baffles.

Wouldn't do this to a vehicle that has no issues, although some have as a preventative measure. As you are out of warranty, youre not going to loose anything by doing it, as you have a stutter too. But its your choice.

Alternatively, just catch can the front PCV pipe. Or just delete the rear PCV. (That was the solution in the early days)

Hangar 111 catch can not quite ready to go to market- but will be soon. Forge option is pricey, and sits on top of the engine with the stuff slopping around. Assume they are all relatively easy to empty.
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

I'm watching this closely.

Comment

Hey and welcome,

infinite debate what to do or not to do. I'll throw my five cents in.
                              Yesterday gave her this treatment again as after previous treatment my (front PCV) OCC was filled with black gunk.
                              http://www.rev.com.sg/wp-content/upl...alve-Clean.jpg

OCC is generic ebay OCC and rear PCV is blocked with a coin and silicone hose piece (takes 30 seconds to return to "stock" in case I want to).
                              Citroën DS3 Racing 2011 Polar White
                              ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X