USB Peripheral Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Peripheral Error

Since getting the car just over 2 weeks ago I have tried several different usb sticks and 2 mp3 players, every single time I get the hourglass and Wait, then the usb peripheral error message comes up and the radio starts playing. I know the usb socket is ok as I borrowed a friends basic 2gb mp3 player the other day and this started playing straight away.
    So far I've tried a 128GB Lexar memory stick, this had a lot of music on it and took a long time with the hour glass before the error message appeared, completely empty the error message came up straight away. A Sandisk Cruzer 8GB memory stick, a Sandisk 2GB memory stick ( Forza 3 freebie ) and an 8GB microSD card in a Gembird M2 card reader all do the same with files on. My Sandisk Sansa e200 mp3 player shows connected on its display as it does when plugged into a computer, but again I just get the error message, and finally I tried a 512MB mp3 player with the same result.
    The memory sticks are formated FAT32 and the files are wma format, there were also some mp3 files on the Lexar.

So after reading all that has anyone got any sugestions / advice on what might be wrong!!!
    DS3 Racing, also available in White!!!

I get this everytime with my usb stick but it still works. Like you it trys to do usb, get the usb peripheral error, then radio, then a few secs later it starts to play the usb stick music.

Have you tried just waiting a few secs after the error appears to see if it starts playing?

Comment

Originally posted by lobber View Post
      I get this everytime with my usb stick but it still works. Like you it trys to do usb, get the usb peripheral error, then radio, then a few secs later it starts to play the usb stick music.

Have you tried just waiting a few secs after the error appears to see if it starts playing?

I don't normally remove the usb stick straight away, but it has never done anything other than play the radio, I've even tried selecting usb with the source button, but it doesn't appear again until I've removed the usb stick!!!

Comment

Mine drops out sometimes and does the the same error. I have to restart the mp3 player to get it to work again. Its just panasonic connected via usb cable.

I'll try a std usb stick. See what that does.
        My DS3R3... nearly....
        New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Originally posted by WTF View Post
          Mine drops out sometimes and does the the same error. I have to restart the mp3 player to get it to work again. Its just panasonic connected via usb cable.

I'll try a std usb stick. See what that does.
          Thanks Joni.

I would really like to have all my music in the car on as few sticks as possible so I can play anything I want rather than what I've loaded onto the stick at the time, Ideally any solution other than an ipod as I'm not a fan of Apple

Comment

Don't say things like that! Den will ban you for slating Apple! ;-)

The little one that we tested in your car was just from Asda, was like £20, not sure of the gb though.
            My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

I use a Kingston Data Traveller G2 8Gb with mine...no hassle at all

Comment

Arlow have you tried an iPod just to rule out a faulty USB plug?
                ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                Bigfeet's File Repository
                The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

We tried mine Big, my little mp3 connected via usb cable and worked fine. I think its just Arlows Music that the car doesn't like ;-)
                  My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Arlow, is the USB stick your using 'clean'?

Some USB sticks arrive with some software on such as a password lock or protection program, that may be causing the problem.

Another option is how you are encoding your music?
                    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                    Bigfeet's File Repository
                    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet76 View Post
                      Arlow, is the USB stick your using 'clean'?

Some USB sticks arrive with some software on such as a password lock or protection program, that may be causing the problem.

Another option is how you are encoding your music?

Some have been clean with just the music on others have had some software on. I originally ripped my CDs using Windows Media Player on a Windows 7 based laptop @ 192kbit for storage on a NAS and streaming to various bits of kit around the flat. These files were then reduced to 128Kbit using a conversion program that was part of a Windows Media Center digital addon pack as the cars handbook states that wma files should be 128kbit or less. However I do have some downloaded files in mp3 format, but I think I have only tried those on one of the sticks so far. I have also tried different ways of structuring the files, in folders by artist and album title, then just folders by album title and finally files copied straight to the root of the drive. I even tried one stick totally clean and this just gave the error message straight away. I would prefer not to go down the ipod route, but if I can't get it working any other way I will try and borrow one first to test it out before shelling out for a bit of kit I would rather not have.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by WTF View Post
                        We tried mine Big, my little mp3 connected via usb cable and worked fine. I think its just Arlows Music that the car doesn't like ;-)

It hasn't complained about the CDs I've been playing

Comment

The problem appears to be the wma files, even though I converted them to 128Kbit rate. I have loaded a couple of the memory sticks that failed previously with mp3 files of various bit rates and they all played ok. If only the error message had been a bit more specific I might have sorted it out sooner. My pc is now going through the process of converting everything into mp3 format, should be done by Monday !!!

Comment

i took delivey of a new ds3 d sport plus yeserday and faffed about with the usb most of the day. i kept getting usb peripheral error so i thought id share my experience, hope this helps.

the usb stick must be formatted as fat or fat32
                            the fat and fat32 can only be used with usb sticks of 32gb and under unless you follow my lead and down load fat32format from the net.
                            unzip the fat32format file to c:/ drive then take note of the usb sticks drive letter, ill use d:/ as the usb here.
                            go to start and type cmd to bring up the cmd box. type in c:/fat32format format d
                            enter y at the warning and click enter
                            the tool will format the usb stick to fat or fat32 even if like me you have a 64gb stick or even bigger
                            next when its completed the format just drag and drop into the usb .

hope his helps
                            tony
                            ds3 1.6 hdi dsport plus in polar white and black roof

Comment

Originally posted by Arlow View Post
                              Since getting the car just over 2 weeks ago I have tried several different usb sticks and 2 mp3 players, every single time I get the hourglass and Wait, then the usb peripheral error message comes up and the radio starts playing. I know the usb socket is ok as I borrowed a friends basic 2gb mp3 player the other day and this started playing straight away.
                              So far I've tried a 128GB Lexar memory stick, this had a lot of music on it and took a long time with the hour glass before the error message appeared, completely empty the error message came up straight away. A Sandisk Cruzer 8GB memory stick, a Sandisk 2GB memory stick ( Forza 3 freebie ) and an 8GB microSD card in a Gembird M2 card reader all do the same with files on. My Sandisk Sansa e200 mp3 player shows connected on its display as it does when plugged into a computer, but again I just get the error message, and finally I tried a 512MB mp3 player with the same result.
                              The memory sticks are formated FAT32 and the files are wma format, there were also some mp3 files on the Lexar.

So after reading all that has anyone got any sugestions / advice on what might be wrong!!!
                              Needs a new engine, they're on back order.

Stef
                              2 X Citroen DS3 Racings - Both rejected

Comment

Working...
                              X