No announcement yet.

USB Peripheral Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*BUMP* I've been getting the same error with my USB even though I converted the files to MP3. On checking the USB on my laptop again, I've noticed that some files on there were still MP4's! Some must have been overlooked while transferring hundreds of files. I'll try it again and post an update but it looks like you may need to make sure there are only compatible files on the device you use or it will just fail.

sigpic
    Black on Black eHDI 110 Dsport+ :cool:

Comment

FAIL - That didn't work then. Clean USB, FAT32 Format, Only MP3 128 kbs files, tracks listed in the folder format as described in previous posts and threads yet I'm still getting issues.

The songs start to play but as soon as I skip a track or folder it freezes up and then I get the Peripheral Error and then the USB is no longer recognized. Try leaving it for a bit and still nothing. Take it out and insert again, nothing, turn the stereo off and on, nothing, turn the car off and on, nothing.

Ready to give up on this which is disappointing. Anyone got any other ideas? :mad:

sigpic

Comment

Have you tried a different USB stick?

Be careful with what you buy as some USB sticks come with a partitioned drive which some manufactures add and can't be deleted and I would imagine that would cause an issue.
        ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
        Bigfeet's File Repository
        The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

You could always try a different file format or bit rate. I'm currently using WMA at 192Kbit after mucking about with WMA at 128Kbit and MP3's ( can't remember bit rate ). On very rare occasions it stops playing partway through a track, but removing and reinserting the USB stick it starts again from where it left off.
          DS3 Racing, also available in White!!!

Comment

Have you tried a few USB sticks? Sometimes USB2.0 and now 3.0 need a power source from USB to work correctly- try and old crappy one and see if it works- bitrate shouldn't matter as mine are all very high bitrates and all MP3s.

You might also want to check to see if the files are read only, if they came from iTunes they might well be, select all and change properties to all- shouldn't make a difference but you never know.

How did you format the stick? Quick or full?
            http://db.tt/tJZ0ZQG1
            Black on Black DSports+ THP 155 16v Custom Remap to 193BHP; 230lb/ft

Comment

I've tried making sure the files are not read only but that didn't sort it. The power to the USB shouldn't be an issue since the usb in the car is powered as it also charges the iphone if I connect it to that. I'll try converting the files to WMA and see how ti goes. Cheers

sigpic

Comment

It's quite odd...I'll PM you a link to a folder with some of my mp3's that I know for sure work- try them- if they don't work then dealer or new USB stick

Comment

Try another stick, just buy a cheap 4GB one and give it a go. My thoughts are still the stick you are using has a partition drive on it which may be confusing the car.
                  ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                  Bigfeet's File Repository
                  The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Thanks. Giving the MP3's from Chiefnerd it a try now. Removed everything I had on the USB I've not been able to get working and just copied his files onto it. I'm also doing the same with another smaller USB I have and see how I get on. I've also just noticed when deleting the files from my USB i've been using, that there was some album art on it. Could having incompatible files confuse it as well?

sigpic

Comment

It'll just ignore non compatible files- does with mine- I sometimes take ti out of the car to store some client's files on if I haven't got another one handy

Comment

Ok the MP3's I got from you worked fine on the USB i've had issues with so its not the USB. I have compared a couple of the files and the only real difference are the bit rate (mine being 192 kbps from Itunes, your 221 kbps. The other differnece is that the files are set to share but this surely will not have any impact. :confused:

I'm just going to add a couple of other albums on at a time and see how I get on. Failing that then I'm going to only try freshly ripped files that have not come from or being converted by Itunes. Again not sure this should have any impact but I'm going to go by the process of elimination. You will not defeat me! :mad: lol

Thanks for the help again.

sigpic

Comment

You have to remember that iTunes actually adds in data to some files- that data may be stopping them playing. I'm not a fan of anything Apple- especially iTunes, so don;t get me started on them.

I'm not sure of the easiest way to remove iTunes protection

Comment

Originally posted by chiefnerd View Post
                            I'm not a fan of anything Apple- especially iTunes, so don;t get me started on them.

I'm not sure of the easiest way to remove iTunes protection
                            Careful, you don't want to upset Den (see his avatar)

Also not an Apple fan, far too controlling for my liking :thumbdown:

I use Windows Media Player to convert my CD's to WMA format at 192Kbit, work OK in the car.
                            Last edited by Arlow; 16-07-2012, 17:43.
                            DS3 Racing, also available in White!!!

Comment

I don't mind upsetting apple fan boys - I normally do lol.

Anything with windows media player should work fine- it doesn't add any drm information to the tracks

Comment

Been adding a few folders at a time without issue now. The sharing certainly is not an issue as this drops off once I copy the folder to the USB so I've actually changed nothing except I removed all the folders and have started putting them slowly back on lol. Works great so will just keep slowly adding folders on until it stops working then I should find the one that is causing the issues.

On a side not, I also discovered how to get the best sound out the sound system and sub in the boot Turn the fader 3/4 notches toward the rear rather than center and turn it up Ended up sitting in there for a bit enjoying the sound lol

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X