Fly´s build - Plasti Dip mods as I go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really good!
    I was looking to do this but wasnt too sure of how it would come out.

Would you be able to take a picture a bit further back of the rear. Just want to see what it looks like a bit further back.

How many cans to do the whole lot?
    94JDA

Comment

Originally posted by Joeauger View Post
      Really good!
      I was looking to do this but wasnt too sure of how it would come out.

Would you be able to take a picture a bit further back of the rear. Just want to see what it looks like a bit further back.

How many cans to do the whole lot?
      I'll try and get you some shots after the next wash. It's quite dirty at the mo But these may help a little:

For everything I've done so far, I'm just a hair into the third can. I'd recommend 3 cans for the whole job just so you have more than enough to finish the job. I'd hate to find myself short the last coat and having to source one quickly being so close to finished.

As an FYI, I'm planning 4 cans for the wheels, and I will buy just one can of white for the mirrors...although they make a Smoke color now, that may look really nice on the mirrors....
      Attached Files
      sigpic
      BUGor Big Red ?

Comment

Thanks
        When your cars clean, if you could take a few more pics a bit further away that would be great..

Just want to see the whole car from a distance.
        I like the grille and the rear logo, Just not too sure on if i want to do the sides :s
        94JDA

Comment

Originally posted by Joeauger View Post
          Thanks
          When your cars clean, if you could take a few more pics a bit further away that would be great..

Just want to see the whole car from a distance.
          I like the grille and the rear logo, Just not too sure on if i want to do the sides :s

Sure will. Likely this weekend. Based on the weather forecast I may even have the the wheels done (I'm soon out of days over 6-7c here...)

FWIW, I'm not too sure on the sides either. I've actually toyed with mixing them a bit. i.e. remove the dip from rear-portions of the baguettes, and the mirror stalks (which I think I will try anyway since I need to re-spray them)
          sigpic
          BUGor Big Red ?

Comment

Get a lot of white it does not cover well and you have to put it on thick. My experience from spraying the carbon effect dash with white Plastidip. Used a can and a half for that.
            Originally posted by cyclone
            It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
            Originally posted by Broda
            I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
              Get a lot of white it does not cover well and you have to put it on thick. My experience from spraying the carbon effect dash with white Plastidip. Used a can and a half for that.
              Thanks for the tip. I would not have had enough. cheers!
              sigpic
              BUGor Big Red ?

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                Hey cyclone. I just saw a DYC video last night regarding White plasti-dip. The key was to spray two coats of Gunmetal grey before the white. Then only 2-3 coats of white were needed. He mentioned that to do only white meant a minimum 9 very light coats...

The vid is on their DipYourCar channel on Youtube if you're interested.

A goot tip if you decide to re-do your dash. You got a scratch in it I believe?
                sigpic
                BUGor Big Red ?

Comment

Originally posted by flyor64 View Post
                  Hey cyclone. I just saw a DYC video last night regarding White plasti-dip. The key was to spray two coats of Gunmetal grey before the white. Then only 2-3 coats of white were needed. He mentioned that to do only white meant a minimum 9 very light coats...

The vid is on their DipYourCar channel on Youtube if you're interested.

A goot tip if you decide to re-do your dash. You got a scratch in it I believe?
                  Hay THANKS. Just used white on mine, guess that's why it took so much. I do need to redo that panel some day.
                  Last edited by cyclone; 25-09-2013, 12:44.

Comment

Don't forget to send me that carbon fibre racing panel trim piece when you do Cyclone, you don't want it, remember ?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                      Don't forget to send me that carbon fibre racing panel trim piece when you do Cyclone, you don't want it, remember ?
                      Did I say that? Funny I don't remember that. I must be getting old and forgetful. You just PM your address and I will send it right out.

ps: if the box it ticking it is ok. Go ahead and open it right up.

Comment

Thats looks awsome. Kudos! I want to try white where you have done black, wing mirrors side strip etc against my black body white roof. Just petrified it wont come out well.
                        my citroen salesman...."I really like the diesel, I think it drives more like a petrol than the petrol does!
                        = fool :confused:

Comment

Deffo stick up some updated photos
                          I'm participating in a bit of plastidipping myself:redface:
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

I've not got new photos, even though, I did wash the car, and here's why...

Pre-wash + plastidip = bad juju. I wasn't paying attention and got just a smidge of overspray on the rear of the driver-side baguette. Realized it, and washed it off within 30-45 seconds. No dice. It "burned" bublble-sized holes right thru the dip... so I peeled that one off. and the other side too, cuz it looked shyte on just one side. I also noticed while peeling, that what appeared to be a rockchip on the leading edge of the baguette had gone all the way down to the chrome as well.

I'm chalking that up to not enough coats and/or too thin of coats. My takeaway is wherever something like that can happen, I'm thinking a minimum of 8-10 coats if I keep spraying it as thin as I did.

As I mentioned, I had some mistakes on the handle and wing-mirror stalks, so I went ahead and pealed those too. The positive here is that peeling the dip off and cleaning up the leftover with a microfibre really is as quick and simple as the videos suggest.

So I have a half-n-half now. Only the rear and the front is blacked out. The positive is they are holding up strong to the crazy weather here and the washing. No issues with spray-foam or pressure washers.

I have not sprayed my winter wheels (yet), and am considering not doing it based on what went down with the baguettes. I reckon a minimum of one can per wheel if I want it to survive the winter roads...so I'm a bit sceptical on them.

I'm looking at this as "the reason" to dip the baguettes and mirrors in the smoke color. Saw a vid and the chrome looked sick afterwards. I will, of course, be applying ample coats

cheers...
                            sigpic
                            BUGor Big Red ?

Comment

Working...
                            X