Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help....What to do?

Hi All

I have a 2012 THP with 30,000 miles on the clock. I have had it since November 2015. I do around 20,000 miles a year. Since I have had the THP, it has been back to Citroen to have the timing chain tensioner and guide replaced. It also needs a walnut blast.

Having read a lot of THP based posts on this forum, it appears that this engine is nothing but trouble. Due to my high mileage, and the THP fuel consumption (average 38 MPG) I am thinking of chopping it in for a DS3 115BHP diesel. I would have to pay an additional £2.5K for the diesel, but it would be 18 months newer, and have 8000 miles less on the clock.

I really cannot decide what to do. I love the THP, but I am worried that with my high mileage, it could turn out to be an expensive mistake.

Anyone got any thoughts to help me decide? On money saved on fuel, I would save the £2,5K over three years....

Cheers
    Russ
    Last edited by Bellypopper; 21-04-2016, 22:14.

You read the THP horror stories here so you need to bear in mind that there must be a lot of owners with no issues who never venture onto forums to praise their car !

That said you do seem to be experiencing the common issues associated with this engine and with your mileage you need a reliable car. Only you can know if the eHDi will be better for you, with that annual mileage you shouldn't have an issue with the DPF becoming blocked and you will benefit from much better mpg (I see upto 60mpg on motorways and long journeys and around 51-52mpg on mixed commute to work). You'll get free road tax as well with the diesel and if you miss the bhp of the THP you can see Jamie at SP Tuning for a remap (mine is now 145bhp and amazing to drive)....

Ultimately it's your choice - good luck
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bellypopper View Post
      Hi All

I have a 2012 THP with 30,000 miles on the clock. I have had it since November 2015. I do around 20,000 miles a year. Since I have had the THP, it has been back to Citroen to have the timing chain tensioner and guide replaced. It also needs a walnut blast.

Having read a lot of THP based posts on this forum, it appears that this engine is nothing but trouble. Due to my high mileage, and the THP fuel consumption (average 38 MPG) I am thinking of chopping it in for a DS3 115BHP diesel. I would have to pay an additional £2.5K for the diesel, but it would be 18 months newer, and have 8000 miles less on the clock.

I really cannot decide what to do. I love the THP, but I am worried that with my high mileage, it could turn out to be an expensive mistake.

Anyone got any thoughts to help me decide? On money saved on fuel, I would save the £2,5K over three years....

Cheers
      Russ
      I have the 115 E-Hdi and its a very good motor can't knock it... Engine faultless .. the rest of it very much so but that covers most of the DS range. You won't save 2.5k over three years in fuel IMO i get about 40mpg in mine on a good day but i either do very long journeys or very short not much balance.
      Where you would possibly save 2.5k is in the Depreciation .. THP's depreciate like hell that's why i avoided it, would have cost me a lot more than the HDI based on just that, if you have already paid the depreciation on the THP then i guess that doesn't matter. I traded my HDI 90 in at 52k and id only had issues with
      body work and such nothing Engine related! I reckon ill get more out of the 115 for longer.

2.5k seems like a fair investment for something to have for 3 years, i wouldn't put a 2.5k deposit down on a 3 year car unless it was seriously expensive, i would consider your options if you have the money to play with look at more than just the DS. I wouldn't buy another.
      Bwaaahhhhhh and Pshhttt erryday!

(Current) THP 155 Black & White. White Racing Decals (+2 bhp each)

(Past) E-HDI Airdream 115 Black. Orange Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)
      E-HDI Airdream 90 White & Black. Full Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)

Comment

40mpg ??? Wow I thought my spirited driving (with AC on) getting 51-52mpg was a bit low
        sigpic

Comment

Love my diesel!

When I had my Vti I was deadset on my next DS3 being a THP, but the more I was on here the more I was put off the idea. As lfc says though, take everything on here with a pinch of salt. A forum is the perfect place to express concerns and issues with a car.

Fuel, I'd spend around £30/40 a week in my Vti, and doing the same journey I spend £40 every fortnight. So I'm very happy with the costs, plus road tax is free.

Last tank of fuel of fuel and my on board mpg is about 58 I think. Bear in mind I'm like a terrier and I'll take on anything. Nearly had that F-Type......
          My DS3R3... nearly....
          New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. The deed is now been done, and a deposit placed on this http://lmc-citroen.co.uk/used-car/60...eam-dsport-3dr

Comment

Oh nice !!
              sigpic

Comment

Woohoo!!

That didn't take long
                My DS3R3... nearly....
                New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

That didn't take long
                  I had been thinking about it for a while. I just wish I had bought the Diesel in the first place. Would have saved me a fortune!

Comment

Very nice welcome to the D club

Comment

Great! You going to LMC at Kingsley to pick it up? I am in Alton, could come and say hello!
                      LA PETITE FUSEE / THE LITTLE ROCKET

sigpic

Comment

Hi Jez, I am hoping to collect it next Friday afternoon. Are you around then?

Comment

Sorry,will be working Fri, so don`t know where I shall be,or if I will be home early enough. Would love to see the DS3 you are getting,photos look good!
                          LA PETITE FUSEE / THE LITTLE ROCKET

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X