Cutting Out The Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Out The Carbs

For the last six years i have worked overseas with a rotation that has generally seen me being away for 10-12 weeks at a time followed by 3-4 weeks at home.
    Having always been into various forms of fitness from competitive rugby to free running, i have kept myself fit and to keep things fresh i like to pursue various forms of training and diets.
    My rotations away have meant i can accurately try out different types of training, diets and supplements over a sustainable period, even for something fairly extreme. Also as its generally just under three months i dont get bored or fall off the diet wagon.

Ive managed to get myself up to 186lb (13.2 stone/84.3kg) staying strong and fairly lean (but being shite at running and free running was a no no) and down to a nicely ripped 169lb (12.1 stone/76.6kg) which still allowed me to straight leg deadlift twice my own bodyweight.
    So since April i have been permanently based in the UK which means there has been no natural rotation for training and diet and due to some long work hours and a rotator cuff injury im now sat at a slightly puffy 174lb, as i'm flat out until a few days before Xmas i thought id smash out an extreme nutritional regime and see where it will leave me come Dec 18th.

So ive been almost carb free since 1st November, i have a bowl of natural porridge in the morning and thats it for added carbs, my meals are made up purely of eggs, meat and vegetables* (the low carb ones so no potatoes), some nuts, natural yogurt, cheese, unflavoured cottage cheese and unflavoured whey protein. Obviously booze is a no no and i rarely eat crisps, chocolate or the like anyway.
    *Radishes, tomatoes, red peppers, carrots, celery and lettuce only).

My training regime remains intact so five miles of bike sprints through London in the morning to work (200m to 800m sprints generally), then the reverse in the evening followed by 45 mins in the gym once im home. Each muscle group trained once over a seven day period bar abs which gets two days.
    1 Chest
    2 Biceps
    3 Shoulders
    4 Lower abs/Obliques
    5 Triceps
    6 Back
    7 Upper abs/Obliques
    *No legs i know, you try 45 mins of squats and deadlifts when you are cycling so much.

As ive cut out carbs which means i've lost maybe 30% of my daily calorific intake, ive increased the amount of fat i consume by adding red meat and egg yokes into the diet plus an extra protien shake. Due to the rotator cuff injury my gym work has been higher in volume with a reduction in weight lifted for chest and shoulders.

So another four weeks until i step on the scales but things are going well as my belt is now baggy so i suspect i've dropped an inch from my waist, i'm just gutted ive picked up an injury so weighted dips and pull ups are off the menu, those bad boys burn fat like little else, i'm now down to using bands for back and simulated dips.

A point to note, whilst i've followed low carb diets plenty of times before, this is a first for a (virtually) zero carb intake and its a complete lick. Ive found myself looking forward to my bowl of porridge (nothing on it obviously).
    Some hardcore times ahead.
    Last edited by Drummond Base; 15-11-2016, 06:24.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Drummond Base View Post
    For the last six years i have worked overseas with a rotation that has generally seen me being away for 10-12 weeks at a time followed by 3-4 weeks at home.
    Having always been into various forms of fitness from competitive rugby to free running, i have kept myself fit and to keep things fresh i like to pursue various forms of training and diets.
    My rotations away have meant i can accurately try out different types of training, diets and supplements over a sustainable period, even for something fairly extreme. Also as its generally just under three months i dont get bored or fall off the diet wagon.

Ive managed to get myself up to 186lb (13.2 stone/84.3kg) staying strong and fairly lean (but being shite at running and free running was a no no) and down to a nicely ripped 169lb (12.1 stone/76.6kg) which still allowed me to straight leg deadlift twice my own bodyweight.
    So since April i have been permanently based in the UK which means there has been no natural rotation for training and diet and due to some long work hours and a rotator cuff injury im now sat at a slightly puffy 174lb, as i'm flat out until a few days before Xmas i thought id smash out an extreme nutritional regime and see where it will leave me come Dec 18th.

So ive been almost carb free since 1st November, i have a bowl of natural porridge in the morning and thats it for added carbs, my meals are made up purely of eggs, meat and vegetables* (the low carb ones so no potatoes), some nuts, natural yogurt, cheese, unflavoured cottage cheese and unflavoured whey protein. Obviously booze is a no no and i rarely eat crisps, chocolate or the like anyway.
    *Radishes, tomatoes, red peppers, carrots, celery and lettuce only).

My training regime remains intact so five miles of bike sprints through London in the morning to work (200m to 800m sprints generally), then the reverse in the evening followed by 45 mins in the gym once im home. Each muscle group trained once over a seven day period bar abs which gets two days.
    1 Chest
    2 Biceps
    3 Shoulders
    4 Lower abs/Obliques
    5 Triceps
    6 Back
    7 Upper abs/Obliques
    *No legs i know, you try 45 mins of squats and deadlifts when you are cycling so much.

As ive cut out carbs which means i've lost maybe 30% of my daily calorific intake, ive increased the amount of fat i consume by adding red meat and egg yokes into the diet plus an extra protien shake. Due to the rotator cuff injury my gym work has been higher in volume with a reduction in weight lifted for chest and shoulders.

So another four weeks until i step on the scales but things are going well as my belt is now baggy so i suspect i've dropped an inch from my waist, i'm just gutted ive picked up an injury so weighted dips and pull ups are off the menu, those bad boys burn fat like little else, i'm now down to using bands for back and simulated dips.

A point to note, whilst i've followed low carb diets plenty of times before, this is a first for a (virtually) zero carb intake and its a complete lick. Ive found myself looking forward to my bowl of porridge (nothing on it obviously).
    Some hardcore times ahead.
    Best exercise is sex.. You know a "dad bod" is the in thing right now?
    Bwaaahhhhhh and Pshhttt erryday!

(Current) THP 155 Black & White. White Racing Decals (+2 bhp each)

(Past) E-HDI Airdream 115 Black. Orange Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)
    E-HDI Airdream 90 White & Black. Full Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)

Comment

That's actually a pretty decent write up... I need to do something before Christmas!

Comment

Did the same as you a few years back and went full keto. I'm aware a few others on the forum have done similar.

Got me down from the 18st of lard I was carrying around. Plenty of great recipes here too: http://reddit.com/r/keto
        cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Yeah I went full keto last year, tried again this year but couldn't be bothered. Need to really get back onto it.

Couldn't even have those vegetables/fruits on keto! Tomatoes and carrots are fairly high carb, iirc.
          @mike_lowsocial

Comment

Have to admit now I'm hitting forty be noticing my body is a temple.... with a two door garage on the side!

Been going to a boot camp two times a week now to build up my body strength and a friend suggested I look at the "Lean 15" thing to help lose a bit of weight.
            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
            Bigfeet's File Repository
            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by streettweeks View Post
              You know a "dad bod" is the in thing right now?
              Said the unfaithful wife to her tubster hubby
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                That's actually a pretty decent write up... I need to do something before Christmas!
                There is rarely a quick fix but 500Cal days can work as can cutting out sugar, bread and anything pasta based.

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                Did the same as you a few years back and went full keto. I'm aware a few others on the forum have done similar.

Got me down from the 18st of lard I was carrying around. Plenty of great recipes here too: http://reddit.com/r/keto
                Wowza, what frame are you? 18St on anything other than a heavy frame will be putting a phenomenal amount of stress on your joint. I have a light frame and im 5'9" so at 13st i look too thick set for my liking,

Originally posted by mjogreen View Post
                Yeah I went full keto last year, tried again this year but couldn't be bothered. Need to really get back onto it.

Couldn't even have those vegetables/fruits on keto! Tomatoes and carrots are fairly high carb, iirc.
                Tomatoes aren't high in carbs and neither are carrots, don't forget carbs like fibre takes up many forms, some are soluble and easily digested, some arnt.

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
                Have to admit now I'm hitting forty be noticing my body is a temple.... with a two door garage on the side!

Been going to a boot camp two times a week now to build up my body strength and a friend suggested I look at the "Lean 15" thing to help lose a bit of weight.
                Boot camps are great, my wife gave up running and weight training to concentrate on 'going boot'. The downside is the industry has become diluted with fewer and fewer instructors being ex military, the thing that actually made it different from previous types of HIIT.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drummond Base View Post
                  Tomatoes aren't high in carbs and neither are carrots, don't forget carbs like fibre takes up many forms, some are soluble and easily digested, some arnt.
                  aye but the difficulty is in Keto you can only have around 5% of your macros to be carbs which amounts to about 20g. so you can see that high carb vegetables (including carrots and tomatoes - in comparison to say brocolli) disrupt your macros considerably.
                  @mike_lowsocial

Comment

Wowza, what frame are you? 18St on anything other than a heavy frame will be putting a phenomenal amount of stress on your joint. I have a light frame and im 5'9" so at 13st i look too thick set for my liking,
                    I was a fatty. Coupled the diet with strength conditioning and an hours cardio on static machines every weekday for a good 8/9 months and got myself down to a more manageable weight. Still carrying some lumber but it'll be winter soon

cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Not bad what you guys are doing.
                      I've changed my nutrition with begining of this year.
                      I went for the 5/2 diet. 5 days normal and 2 days reduced calories (only breakfast and dinner but no lunch and not more than 800kcal per day).
                      This brought me from 83kg down to 66/67 kg. Beside I also reduced my consumption of cake and sweets.

Comment

Yeah the wife does the old lean in 15 , hit sessions. 5 days I week pre prepared meals , more fat on a butcher's pencil , 8 stone wet through, according to her it's all about the toning up now , she's hitting late forties, might try after Xmas then n again I might not.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperkev View Post
                          Yeah the wife does the old lean in 15 , hit sessions. 5 days I week pre prepared meals , more fat on a butcher's pencil , 8 stone wet through, according to her it's all about the toning up now , she's hitting late forties, might try after Xmas then n again I might not.
                          Thought you was rocking the dad bod too Kev.
                          Bwaaahhhhhh and Pshhttt erryday!

(Current) THP 155 Black & White. White Racing Decals (+2 bhp each)

(Past) E-HDI Airdream 115 Black. Orange Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)
                          E-HDI Airdream 90 White & Black. Full Racing Decals (+2 bhp) - K&N Panel Filter (30bhp+)

Comment

Originally posted by mjogreen View Post
                            aye but the difficulty is in Keto you can only have around 5% of your macros to be carbs which amounts to about 20g. so you can see that high carb vegetables (including carrots and tomatoes - in comparison to say brocolli) disrupt your macros considerably.
                            Right, now i get you, its all relative to your goals.
                            Il see this through to Xmas but it isnt sustainable, i have already noticed a drop off in strength and cardio capability. Ive been training in various forms for 35 years and its generally been relative to the task, My role in 2008 required dynamic strength, the opposite to 12 months later, my body composition and training reflected that.
                            I dont bother with things like macros, for a couple of reason, one is it isnt sustainable so to me pointless, the other is far too many people think its all about what you eat but without training you are just a less fat and slightly healthier time bomb.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                              I was a fatty. Coupled the diet with strength conditioning and an hours cardio on static machines every weekday for a good 8/9 months and got myself down to a more manageable weight. Still carrying some lumber but it'll be winter soon

Nice thumbs up, had you just heard the microwave PING as the Ginsters was ready ha ha ha ha
                              Good effort dropping the weight, yes its easier when you start at 18st but so many peoiple yo-yo back up again. There is always a balance between quality of life (enjoying ourselves) and quality of life (living long and being able bodied).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X