Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speed limits in town- 20MPH Unenforceable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed limits in town- 20MPH Unenforceable?

The GREEN council in Brighton and Hove are forever making things more restrictive for residents and motorists
    Parking prices shooting up to silly levels, expanding pay parking miles from city centre so you have to pay outside yer own house (One reason I moved recently)

Being very fascist over rubbish collections, and when you go to the local tip- dear- 18 different areas to put certain types of rubbish, with them watchin over you givin you a rollickin
    I know we all have to do our bit, but hey- lets live please

SPEED LIMITS- The latest wheeze is to introduce 20MPH limits across large parts of the town
    Introduced 6 months ago just for schools areas (Understandable) - POLICE stated they were unenforceable

Now they are expanding the restriction all over the shop
    Is it worth having a car in town nowadays? And if you cant have one to go home in- whats the point?

Any other UK towns got real restrictive speed limts? and for what reason?
    CBLUE
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

They did a similar thing for the route I take into manchester and decided to take a 30mph dual carriageway and drop it down to a single 20mph lane with a bus lane.

We now have traffic backing up every morning which adds atleast another 20minutes onto the Journey in rush hour.

The easily solution is to take public transport but with train fares on the rise and buses stinking of piss and usually being too full I'm happy to get up a few minutes earlier.
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

20 mph in all the towns near me. To be fair, with traffic you'd be lucky to get that.
      My DS3R3... nearly....
      New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Not really bothered too much, so long as they dont put those go awful speen bumps everywhere
        Perla Nera Black w/Black Roof 1.6 e-HDi 115 Airdream DSport Plus

Comment

There are a handful of 20 zones near me that are in residential areas where the roads and narrow with lots of on-street parking, which I welcome for the sake of safety. A lot of the time it's impossible to get up to 20mph anyway as you're constantly pulling over to let other cars through.
          Other than that, it's 20 around schools when the orange lights are flashing. Something that can't really be complained about.
          Proud owner of missing wonky stickers

Comment

Don't worry it's just Chris moaning again

JB

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
              Don't worry it's just Chris moaning again

JB
              Hi Bobsy:rolleyes:
              CBLUE
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

1/2 the problem with the 20mph zones i know there is only 1 sign. its right on the junction so when you turn onto the road its out of your eyeline. ive often only known ive been in a 20 zone when i see the 30 sign at the end

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                  They did a similar thing for the route I take into manchester and decided to take a 30mph dual carriageway and drop it down to a single 20mph lane with a bus lane.

We now have traffic backing up every morning which adds atleast another 20minutes onto the Journey in rush hour.

The easily solution is to take public transport but with train fares on the rise and buses stinking of piss and usually being too full I'm happy to get up a few minutes earlier.
                  You talking about the road past Salford Uni? Boils my blood, that thing. NOBODY has decided to take the bus instead. When I'm stuck in that queue, a 3/4 empty bus will go past every 10 minutes. Where's the sense in that?!
                  May 2011 - October 2015: White body/black roof/white Bellone THP150
                  October 2015 - Present: Black body/emerald green roof/black Aphrodite THP165
                  Instagram @adamds3

Comment

Originally posted by THP View Post
                    You talking about the road past Salford Uni? Boils my blood, that thing. NOBODY has decided to take the bus instead. When I'm stuck in that queue, a 3/4 empty bus will go past every 10 minutes. Where's the sense in that?!
                    Exactly that one, that's my usual route in each day.

Pro-tip, if the east lancs is backed up before the roundabout, jump on the roundabout, come off near the police station and follow the road round to where McDonalds is. You'll save yourself a good 10-20mins
                    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

1/2 the problem with the 20mph zones i know there is only 1 sign. its right on the junction so when you turn onto the road its out of your eyeline. ive often only known ive been in a 20 zone when i see the 30 sign at the end
                      I have this same issue, I always thought that any road that was NOT 30mph had to have speed limit signs every so often like they do on 40mph, 50 etc
                      sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
                      Third time around.
                      Work in Progress

Comment

Lets get technical.

The ones police do not agree to enforce are where only a short stretch of road has it's own speed limit i.e. 100 yards of 20mph outside a school with different limits either side. They will only agree to enforce a decent length of restriction properly marked. I'm sure different forces have different views but this is widespread. Without their support a speed limit does not go in.

Also you cannot enforce with signs such as "During Term Time" or "When School is Open." It's either 20mph all the time or has a sign with specific days or dates or it's not enforceable!

JB

Comment

20mph in my village, but only have like 100 yards to drive till I get on the main road where it's 50mph, unless behind some tonker doing 30ish.

Comment

Driving along a road, near a school, plenty of speed bumps
                            Some Girls/boys in blue, with what looked like camera thingy, on top of tripod thingy
                            Were they just admiring my DS3, or plate
                            Methinks not- dont think was speed trap either. Looks like some sort of survey
                            Any ideas (Was doing about 33-4 mph and decelerating, as loadsa cars oncoming were flashing lights)
                            CBLUE
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                              Driving along a road, near a school
                              Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                              Was doing about 33-4 mph and decelerating
                              Was this a 20 zone you were doing 34mph in?
                              Proud owner of missing wonky stickers

Comment

Working...
                              X