Phones.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phones.......

As I run a smartphone dedicated forum I'm curious as to how folks on here use phones in their DS23 with respect to:
    • Smartphone or not?
    • If a smartphone then which OS (Windows Phone, Android, iOS), etc
    • If car mounted which sysetem (Brodit etc)

Just curious.
    Daron Brewood

DS3 Sport Plus - 'Yellow Hawk'
    CEO smartphonegurus.com
    Phone: HTC One, Nokia Lumia 920 / 925
    Cars:
    Mark II Cortina > Hillman Avenger > Datsun 120Y > Morris Ital > BL Maestro > Hyundai coupé > Rover 25 > MG ZR > Peugeot 307CC > 207 > 207CC > Citroen DS3 Sport+

HTC Sensation XL, never stream my music through the car or use for navigation.

Never mounted, just chucked in the cubby hole by the gearstick.

Been Nokia for as long as I had mobiles, had SO many handsets over the years. Got the Nokia 900 I think (US only one) - Wouldn't sync to car and the app store was never going to expand or offer apps that I use, such as whatsapp. So said a sad goodbye to Nokia

I'll be a Droid user from now on.
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

I use my iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1.4) connected using Bluetooth for hands free and music (Spotify mostly).

Don't have a mount, just keep it in my pocket or in the space under the radio. No need for a mount because start my music at the start of the journey then leave it playing. I use the car radio interface to answer / make calls if needed.
      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

I run a note 2 on android vent mounted with a cheapo mount off ebay but modified a little to make it more sturdy

Comment

iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1.4) connected for bluetooth calls, can't stream music cause I have navigation and old car (dealer told me)

The phones are usually in my purse in the passanger seat...
          Citroën DS3 DSport THP 150 Sport yellow / Black roof

Comment

iPhone 4s, use bluetooth when I want to play music through the car, sometimes connect my iPod touch via the USB port but mostly use the USB port and my cruzer drive mini usb stick now !
            sigpic

Comment

Interesting. As I review phones I get a choice to play with. I've used all OS variants myself, but have decided to keep away from Apple for various reasons which leaves me with Windows Phone 8 and Android.

Current faves are the HTC One and the Nokia Lumia 920. Both work wonderfully for streaming music via BT. Handsfree calling is fine. USB port on the car is filled with a USB drive full of music.

The USB connection only seems to work for playing back music either from the USB drive or (historically) from an iPhone, I never got the inbuilt system to recognise or playback music via USB when using any other OS.

When navigating I tend to use TomTom on Android (beta tester), Navigon or CoPilot (occasional tester), on Windows Phone I use Navigon or CoPilot, but I find Nokia's own HERE Drive+ beta has the best navigation on that platform. Navigon and CoPilot on Windows Phone have routing issues whereby known congested routes are selected or A roads instead of dual carriageways.

For mounts I use Brodit and have done so for the last 5 years or so, you can't beat their engineered solutions. Not cheap but hey it is worth it. The only bug bear with the DS3 is the BLOODY STUPID location of the cig lighter (12V) socket.....
              Daron Brewood

CEO smartphonegurus.com
              Cars:
              Mark II Cortina > Hillman Avenger > Datsun 120Y > Morris Ital > BL Maestro > Hyundai coupé > Rover 25 > MG ZR > Peugeot 307CC > 207 > 207CC > Citroen DS3 Sport+

Comment

Originally posted by dbrewood View Post
                ...The only bug bear with the DS3 is the BLOODY STUPID location of the cig lighter (12V) socket.....
                Where would you have put it?
                ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                Bigfeet's File Repository
                The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Mmmm I like where it is, means I don't have to look at it whilst sitting in the driving seat....
                  sigpic

Comment

For me under a cover at the front of the car. Possibly in the back on the hideyhole underneath the stereo. Mind you it depends if it is a 12V supply or for a cig. lighter
                    Daron Brewood

CEO smartphonegurus.com
                    Cars:

Comment

I think it's just a 12v power supply, granted it can be used as a cig lighter but I don't think many manufacturers include those anymore
                      sigpic

Comment

Anywhere on the dash would be better than where it is now

JB

Comment

I used to work for a global telco for years and have always been a gadget freak... if I remember correctly should have 6 phones somewhere around the house. Actually I have multi-SIM with 5 parallel subscriptions

Currently in active use Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC Sensation XE.

I use mine in the car (either mounted on the windscreen or just lying on the anti-slip mat).
                          -with the Citroen Bluetooth for HF as well as music streaming
                          -for navigation
                          -with Torque Pro for logging
                          -sometimes recording stuff

I also have a laptop in the trunk accompanied with diagnostics for all possible vehicle brands...
                          Citroën DS3 Racing 2011 Polar White
                          ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
                          sigpic

Comment

Aye the days of smoker dominance are long gone.

I've made my bracket to work around the trailing wires (or socket to dash tightrope) issue, but that is a design fault. Only one I've found though!
                            Daron Brewood

CEO smartphonegurus.com
                            Cars:

Comment

iPhone 5 on IOS 6.1.4. I use THIS
                              Polar white with black roof, black bellones - My Photies!!

Comment

Working...
                              X