No announcement yet.

Calling all techies..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I followed the steps on the hp website to diagnose why it won't turn on at all, absolutely nothing from it :-(

Out of curiosity could I buy other bits to do it up and still use the hard drive with Windows on it to save buying Windows again?

sent from my Sony Xperia Z1
    Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by moranphotography View Post
      I followed the steps on the hp website to diagnose why it won't turn on at all, absolutely nothing from it :-(

There are a number of reason why a PC fails to boot, it could be a dead PSU although they normally let you know when they are on their way out by erratic starting or impromptu shutdowns.
      It could be a motherboard or processor issue or even the fuse in the plug .

Is there any power going to the motherboard, do any fans spin up or lights come on, any signs at all that power is getting to other hardware?

Originally posted by moranphotography View Post

Out of curiosity could I buy other bits to do it up and still use the hard drive with Windows on it to save buying Windows again?

You can buy the other component parts, its the way I build all my PCs, it isn't hard but whether or not you can still use your current copy of the Operating System depends on whether it is a retail or OEM version, I suspect its OEM (99.9% of pre-made machines are) which means its tied to the machine you have, the moment you try to activate it on a new motherboard it will say NOOOOOOOOOO. OEM is cheaper than retail but can only be used on a single machine, retail can be used again and again but only on a single machine at a time.

If you want any pointers on hardware then let me know.

Comment

Any updates on this?

Comment

Going to get one of those docks when I get a moment, been mad busy.

Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X