Rear ended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear ended

Fairly frustrated right now because I've just had my car rear ended by a woman in a Beetle.
    I was pulling out of a junction when I noticed a Royal Mail van approaching the junction from the opposite direction on the wrong side of the road. I managed to pull an emergency stop and avoid hitting the van but the woman in the vehicle behind me failed to stop and went into the back of me.

Damage doesn't seem too bad but I've got some pretty extensive stress marks on the plastic bumper. I'd just leave it but I need the car in pristine condition for when I hand it back in just over a year.

Here's the footage of the incident, the impact happens at the end of the countdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Lp...ature=youtu.be

I have a few questions I hope you guys will be able to answer.

1. Bumpers and stress marks. Will the damage typically just be painted over or will I need a whole new bumper?

2. Who is liable in this situation? The woman who went into the back of me or the Royal Mail driver who crossed the solid double white line? Or even me?

3. If the Royal Mail driver is ultimately liable for my damage then what happens insurance-wise? The driver failed to stop, you can't see their reg in the footage but you can clearly see it is a Royal Mail vehicle. Is it likely my insurer will be able to recover the money because I'm conscious of losing my no-claims discount.

So far my insurer seems pretty okay about it all. I haven't had much communication with them as it happened so late in the day but they've arranged a repair, a courtesy car and they've agreed to waive my excess because of the details I've provided them with. I'm just worried that this is going to become a lot more complicated than it is at the moment.

Deff the driver who hit you

Comment

Ditto above I would think. Even a minor hit on plastic bumpers will misshape them.

Comment

Not you mate. It would be the driver who hit you who is at fault, since they should have left enough room for you to stop. The Royal Fail driver is clearly an idiot as well, and even if the insurance company don't pursue it I would suggest sending the footage to RM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperkev View Post
          Deff the driver who hit you
          I'd like to think so. I'm just worried that the other person's insurer will decide that the whole episode was actually caused by the van and they should be paying my damages which is a whole can of worms in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by pmk View Post
            Ditto above I would think. Even a minor hit on plastic bumpers will misshape them.
            Originally posted by mk2k41 View Post
            Not you mate. It would be the driver who hit you who is at fault, since they should have left enough room for you to stop. The Royal Fail driver is clearly an idiot as well, and even if the insurance company don't pursue it I would suggest sending the footage to RM.
            Thanks guys. I'll report back with what they say, I'm expecting a call tomorrow morning.

Comment

Good luck mate and sounds like nobody was injured which is good. You be taking it to Bellamys? I might see you Monday morning if you are [emoji4]
              Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

The driver of the car behind should have left more room, it's a no brainer for your insurance company they will get the full cost of the repairs including your excess back for you off of the other drivers insurance. The driver that hit you is at fault regardless of the circumstances.
                DS3 1.6 Bluehdi Dsport Plus :STrooper:

Comment

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help!

At the moment I'm booked into a garage in Herne Hill Phil. I'm going to speak to my insurer tomorrow and see how they feel about Citroen taking care of the damage instead.

Comment

The Royal mail driver should be done as well for causing the accident in the first place
                    DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
                    Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

the royal mail fool is to blame being on the wrong side of the road the bloke behind should av been more alert. and hope there was no cameras for the bus lane as ya prob get a ticket for being in that too. make a claim off royal mail as you have the footage
                      e-hdi 90 dsytle all white with ashera's and lonely citroen graphic's and club decals sigpic NCC-1701-C THE ENTERPRISE being rehomed
                      Soon to have a Prestige 130 SS in arctic steel metallic with emerald mettalic roof and grey aphrodite wheels

Comment

Up until a couple year back, it used to automatically be the person behind, that hit a car in front, fault for the collision
                        That's not the case anymore- as my wife found out a year ago
                        Fella clearly too fast, coming round a bend, looking at oncoming traffic from his RHS, went straight into the back of her, when she was stationary

So if they come up with a story, and you don't fancy speaking in court.............
                        sigpic
                        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by billy smith View Post
                          the royal mail fool is to blame being on the wrong side of the road the bloke behind should av been more alert. and hope there was no cameras for the bus lane as ya prob get a ticket for being in that too. make a claim off royal mail as you have the footage
                          I can't imagine that being an issue, I have all the evidence I need to successfully appeal the ticket, if that fails the woman who hit me will have to pay it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                            Up until a couple year back, it used to automatically be the person behind, that hit a car in front, fault for the collision
                            That's not the case anymore- as my wife found out a year ago
                            Fella clearly too fast, coming round a bend, looking at oncoming traffic from his RHS, went straight into the back of her, when she was stationary

So if they come up with a story, and you don't fancy speaking in court.............
                            Hence my love of my dashcam! There's not much they can argue and I'm refusing to share the footage with her until my insurance company feel it's necessary to do so.

I had a proper look at the damage in today's daylight, very glad I've gone down the insurance route with this.

Comment

Ouch. Hope you get the outcome you hope for Richard
                              DS3 Evo Edition
                              Sport Red
                              E8 DRY

Checkout my Build Thread: http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....s-Build-Thread
                              Scottish Meet Part 2: http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....sh-Meet-Part-2

Comment

Working...
                              X