No announcement yet.

Anyone Using a TomTom Start 60 Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a TomTom Via Live 120 Europe back in April before our trip to France, found it very easy to use and gives very good traffic information. Previously used TomTom on my Windows Mobile phone, but software and map was several years out of date so decided to go for a dedicated device.
    DS3 Racing, also available in White!!!

Comment

I suppose I should have titled this thread Sat Nav - Dedicated vs Software ? I downloaded NavFree last night as it's now available on Android. Will try it out over the weekend as I have no doubt with a new DS3 we definitely will not be staying indoors

Comment

That ones crap
        http://db.tt/tJZ0ZQG1
        Black on Black DSports+ THP 155 16v Custom Remap to 193BHP; 230lb/ft

Comment

As far as the software vs hardware satnav goes- they do in fact use the same identical maps- thus you pay for them. I think only Garmin use their own map source and as a result are about the only satnavs that work most places in the Middle East (don;t ask me why) The free ones use an older form of maps or are supplemented by adverts.

Since I have been using copilot I think the maps have updated 7 or 8 times. And what isn't on the map (roadworks etc) is featured in the live traffic which updates itself all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by chiefnerd View Post
            That ones crap
            I'll take your word on that but since the places we're going to this weekend are all places we know well it will be interesting to see how it does.

Comment

There's one relatively ok free but I can't for the life of me remember what its called.

Also try using google trakcs to track your trip. Not much cop on a trip round town but if you're somewhere in the country it's quite cool and tracks your every move on foot or in the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Den View Post
                I have a tomtom for at home
                Bloody Hell you must have a big house!!!!!

Jimbob

Comment

Originally posted by chiefnerd View Post
                  That ones crap
                  Well you were of course you were right! Just tried it from town to my house and it was wrong at least 5 times! Once told me to turn left when the map was clearly indicating I should turn right. Also kept referring to roundabouts as "junctions", also would miscalculate the turns off a roundabout. If had not already known where I was going I would have gone miles out of my way.

Right, now to spend some cash on CoPilot. I hope this works as I was sorely tempted to buy a TomTom 60 Europe this afternoon. Thought I should at least give the software a chance. Oh by the way, does CoPilot speak road names or just general directions?

Comment

Well I did go for CoPilot Live Premium in the end. Have to say my first experiences were not great. First the 1.5gb download kept timing out so took me the best part of the day to download it. Tried it out this morning on a very familiar route and was not impressed by the fact it kept missing turns and roundabouts that our old Garmin would have picked up. It even did not show some roads and would completely ignore some junctions, instead seeing it as one continuous road. Had I not know the route it would have been pretty confusing. So far it's not been any more effective that NavFree I tried yesterday but of course that was "free".

Will give it a fair go but my initial impression is I should have gone with my gut and bought the TomTom 60

Comment

God knows why, mine guides me to a lodge in Northumberland faultlessly and it's not even on Google maps

Comment

If all else fails you could go 'old school' and buy one of these...

I've have the 2010 version in my motor all the time, it's all very well having the sat-nav tell you where to go but it's sometimes nice to plan the route yourself.
                        Attached Files
                        ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                        Bigfeet's File Repository
                        The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

ive got 1 of those biggie and its in the car. plus ,y excuse is every road leads to home or where u wanna b eventually

Comment

Originally posted by pcmaczone View Post
                            Well I did go for CoPilot Live Premium in the end. Have to say my first experiences were not great. First the 1.5gb download kept timing out so took me the best part of the day to download it. Tried it out this morning on a very familiar route and was not impressed by the fact it kept missing turns and roundabouts that our old Garmin would have picked up. It even did not show some roads and would completely ignore some junctions, instead seeing it as one continuous road. Had I not know the route it would have been pretty confusing. So far it's not been any more effective that NavFree I tried yesterday but of course that was "free".

Will give it a fair go but my initial impression is I should have gone with my gut and bought the TomTom 60
                            does sound odd...

I've been using Copilot for the best part of 2 years now with NO problems at all. My old TomTom One only comes out if I have to follow an itinery... which I've heard the latest TomTom's don't have as part of their features...

Does the google maps application work ok? If not I'd suspect a problem with the GPS on your phone?
                            -- Gannet.
                            DS3 DSport THP150, Polar White, Carmen Red Roof...

Comment

Tried it on the way home and same experience. Don't know if it's because we live in a particularly rural area but I do know the Garmin picked up everything, even mini roundabouts. Like i said though, I will give it a fair run as we'll be out and about over the next few days. If it's still not picking up things it should then I will leave it and go down the hardware route.

Comment

Will try Google maps tomorrow as again we are going somewhere familiar. Not sure how it could be the gps on the phone though. Thing is CoPilot is not actually showing some of the roads around here so I would assume that is a problem with the maps, not the phone?

Comment

Working...
                                X