Another dud DS3-R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another dud DS3-R

My girlfriend purchased a DS3R in March 2012 with us both having owned Saxo's in the past we know that Citroen's aren't renowned for their build quality but the DS3 appeared to have bought Citroen to a new level. My Saxo was supercharged so I'm no stranger to having a broken Citroen but that was of my own making not one supposedly tried and tested at the factory..

Our issues started in November 2012 when the GF noted a knocking under acceleration, I passed it off as Citroen build quality and moved on, however it persisted and I diagnosed it as turbo knock to which we told the dealer and they ignored. Next up we noticed that the car was starting to use oil at an alarming rate to which the dealer started providing a regular top up. Our concern led to them 'assessing' the situation every 500 miles to which they seemed to believe after a few thousand miles that it wasn't excessive.

Toward the end of 2013 the knock/pinking began to get more aggressive and was now being followed by hesitation as the car was pulling through the gears, having told the dealer that something really needed to be done they took the car in and spoke to CUK. As expected the cylinder head and valves had become carbonized due to the way the oil vapour is re-routed into the breathers. The first attempt was to flush the cleaner through to remove the carbon, as expected it didn't touch the problem and the car was back in 2 weeks later. Next time around, head off, carbon cleaned off manually and replacement valves fitted as the current ones were beyond cleaning. Another 2 weeks goes by and the hesitation problem is still rife, back into the garage and this time they're replacing the high fuel pressure pump. Assumption is that this is now defective as it's giving erroneous readings when driven with the laptop hooked upto the diagnostics.

2 weeks ago it went in again as the hesitation was still there, now CUK have finally given in and are replacing the engine. 2 years down the line with a problem that really started 9 months after we bought it and we have a DS3R that'll be worth peanuts should we sell it.

Understanding the issues from working on my own S/C'd car and from my own experience writing about direct injection engines etc it's clear that the oil vapour breather issues, VVT, direct injection and additional power being utilsed for the 'R' are all issues that can be solved but not without modification. Owing to the fact that there are only 500 or less R's out there, there is no motivation for Citroen to do the right thing. If the issue affected all the petrol DS's to this level they'd have to recall/rectify the issue, instead they'll keep glossing over the problem...

I see two aftermarket modifications that would reduce the impact of the problem: It's been talked about and tried by several people on here already (after doing some looking around before posting) - Catch Tanks to stop the shitty oil vapour redoing the circuit. Whilst a single injector placed in the inlet and fired occasionally would wash fuel over the valves that it doesn't currently get owing to direct injection ( I believe that Audi/BMW have done this as a post solution on some of their models)

CUK are giving us a 2 year extension on our warranty once the engine is fitted and so I'm guessing unless they've made any modifications to the breather system, anyone know? on the newer engines we'll be back in this situation in a year or so's time...

Hard luck Somers. Catch can front and back PCV pipes, top grade fuel, and hope with the new engine.
    Reckon the ECUs are not programmed correctly somewhere along the line, me, as even with a new engine the problem may well occur, as you could guess

The PCV system has been tinkered with on later models of the THP engine, but not much has been detailed about it
    Nothing radical I believe.

Relatively thankful that the price was too high when I test drove the DS3r, as went for a new THP in the end.
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Sorry to hear that ,mine giving me problems today as well in citroen garage now with a misfire in cylinder 2

Comment

I wish everyone who has had or still has a R would visit this forum and drop a word or two on their experiences. As there are not many of them in total (2000?) and I've read about 20 cases with issues making my aware-of-failure-ratio 1%
        Citroën DS3 Racing 2011 Polar White
        ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
        sigpic

Comment

Only 200 in UK Rag
          That would make the ratio from people detailing issues on here much higher, as vast majority are UK Members
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
            Only 200 in UK Rag
            That would make the ratio from people detailing issues on here much higher, as vast majority are UK Members
            :Joni:
            ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, just wanted to post this up as a record for other people that have the same issues. Seems Citroen are simply trying to sweep it under the carpet due to the low production numbers on the R's. We're going for some compensation too as it's not our fault they sold us a shoddy product... If we don't get what we are looking for my blog will be getting a fresh post about the problems and considering the numbers it receives I'm sure they won't want the bad publicity.

Comment

Funny issues with my Racing so far:
                -clutch bearing failed at 20.500kms
                -engine failed at 26.500kms (piston cracked)
                -I am replacing HPFP today as it seems it is failing at 45.500kms
                -Electronic power steering randomly does not turn on after ignition
                -Replaced oil gauge sensor already once but after few months the error code returned
                -Left beam bulb has failed already 3 times, right one never
                -Microphone open circuit code has been there since I bought the car

And I have 45.500kms on it now.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SomersF1 View Post
                  Thanks for the replies guys, just wanted to post this up as a record for other people that have the same issues. Seems Citroen are simply trying to sweep it under the carpet due to the low production numbers on the R's. We're going for some compensation too as it's not our fault they sold us a shoddy product... If we don't get what we are looking for my blog will be getting a fresh post about the problems and considering the numbers it receives I'm sure they won't want the bad publicity.
                  Shitter to hear, these is getting more and more common unfortunately.

Feel free to link to any threads on the forum, we can do the same if you do.
                  cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok View Post
                    -Left beam bulb has failed already 3 times, right one never
                    Interesting... My left bulb failed twice in the space of 3 months.
                    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by BeefMasta View Post
                      Interesting... My left bulb failed twice in the space of 3 months.
                      Seems the car has some electricity related flaws.

sigpic

Comment

I have a blog about my R case in Finnish.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok View Post
                          Seems the car has some electricity related flaws.
                          Yeah agreed. I thought maybe I'd got a fingerprint on it when replacing the bulb but now I'm not so sure.
                          - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                          - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Do you have a link, I can read between the lines on google translate I'd imagine..

Comment

Do you have a link, I can read between the lines on google translate I'd imagine..
                              http://autokauppa.blogspot.fi/

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X