Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big mistake on ds3's oil sump It can and will eventually ruin your turbo.. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
    Good one Gaz- then group buy eh?
    Reply back "we do not know who manufactured the part as it is after market sump" well that dosn't bode well
    DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
    Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Personally I'd stick with the original, and change oil sooner than the recommended service schedules. Also fitting a magnetic drain plug may help too.
      Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

LOL. Think we could be going round in circles a bit
        As far as i can tell, the original post was dealing with more than average build up of oil sludge in the sump pan, on the basis that the design of the sump means that much more than normal sludge builds up, cos it cant be drained out as well as in most vehicles, cos the sump plug is raised.

This problem may only come about after 2 or 3 years build up, (Who knows) and more than usual oil changes, whilst good for the engine, wont remove the sludge. The more than normal amount of sludge could then become more easily dislodged and travel around the engine causing issues.

A better designed sump (if exisiting DS3 sumps have the raised plug) would definitley be more beneficial, but should be on a list of things to do over time, rather than imperative
        Just my thoughts, if they make sense
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Is it sludge...............or bullshit?
          Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

Originally posted by Owd git View Post
            Is it sludge...............or bullshit?
            LOL. Well Supernielsen is the qualified Citroen mechanic.....
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

I can personally say that my oil sump had some thicker oil in the bottom which definately wasn't good
              Skilled Citroen Mechanic

Have diagnostic Lexia/Diagbox Tool

Comment

Supernielsen- How many miles has yours done (Or kms) and what engine is it?
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

It is a 90hp 1,6 hdi and I have only gone 80,000 kilometers..
                  Skilled Citroen Mechanic

Comment

Only.... 50k miles in a 90 diesel. Get a faster one
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

This sump has been in use since 2006. It's the same sump on the MINI, 207, 308, RCZ, etc. The very same part number. Even my brand new 208 GTi has the same sump.

It happily sat at the bottom of my 2007 207 GTi from the day I drove it home from the showroom and I'm yet to experience this oil sludging, after 95,000km and 7 yrs. My DS3 DSport is also just fine in this department.

As an alternative to immediately changing to an aftermarket sump when I bought these cars, I use the correct oil and it's changed every 10,000km.

Perhaps the sump is dangerous if people don't change their oil, but this all seems a little alarmist to me. Sludging is caused by neglected oil changes, in my experience.
                      Regards,

Simon

2011 DS3 DSport (Sport Red with Onyx Black Roof).
                      2014 208 GTi (Calado Blue).

Comment

Originally posted by SLC View Post
                        Perhaps the sump is dangerous if people don't change their oil, but this all seems a little alarmist to me. Sludging is caused by neglected oil changes, in my experience.
                        yep all sound good to me!

diesel engines are more prone to turbo failure as Diesel will break up the oil viscosity as a small amount will always get passed the piston rings and drop into the sump mixing with the oil. once the viscosity of the oil is compromised the turbo is lubricated with a degraded oil and thus damage occurs. Renault Laguna's as i recall were always prone to this.
                        Last edited by Toxic; 02-08-2014, 16:34.
                        Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                          Citroen mechanic.....
                          Well the CUK seems to only have Fitters who cant fix any unless the Computer finds a fault.
                          Simon

Comment

You can think what your gonna think, if you keep changing oil at the right intervals it will take longer for it to be a serious problem..

By the way it cant be my problem that the Citroën mechanics in the UK cant do anything without a computer, thats not the way it works around here..

Carbon segments will stay in the bottom and it will pass the filter and your turbo will Pay the price..

15 turbos changed so far pretty sure there are more to come
                            Skilled Citroen Mechanic

Comment

Originally posted by supernielsen View Post

Carbon segments will stay in the bottom and it will pass the filter
                              If they stay in the bottom how will they get as far as the filter? :confused:
                              Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

When you Are driving you Are moving the oil at the bottom if you get unlucky to many of the Carbon segments would get to the turbo.. Carbon segments are a bit heavyer and Will stay at the bottom when the car is standing still and therefore wont get out at service.. Obviously
                                Skilled Citroen Mechanic

Comment

Working...
                                X