Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big mistake on ds3's oil sump It can and will eventually ruin your turbo.. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big mistake on ds3's oil sump It can and will eventually ruin your turbo.. :)

Hi everybody, i couldn't find anything on this forum regarding this, i work at a citroën dealership and lately people began coming in.
    They complained about:

- Rough Running Engine.
    - Lags when driving.
    - It feels slower in general.
    - Wierd noises.

We know at the dealership that some earlier models came with a badly designet oil sump, and the first we noticed was that the ds3 has the same shitty oil sump..
    So i will advise anyone to go and buy and aftermarket oil sump.

The design of the current oil sump is designed in a way that makes up to 500 ml oil stay in the bottom, that means that after some time this oil will get very thick and it will ruin your turbo, it will get badder cooled and the blades on it will simple ruin themself because of the heat and the thicker oil.

As english is not my first language i have attached some pictures so people can see the design fault..

ORIGINAL:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Original.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	366282

AFTERMARKET:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Aftermarket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	366283

As you can see on the pictures the original oil sumps LOWEST point is not at the screw and that means that you cant get all the oil out..

But if you see the aftermarket one you will notice that they have change this..

Save your cars and get this changes because Citroën have not admitted this clear fault..
    Skilled Citroen Mechanic

Have diagnostic Lexia/Diagbox Tool

Good thread nielsen, the after market sump look deeper than the OEM or does it look like that because of the picture?
    DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
    Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

I imagine this question will come up, where can we buy one?

Cheers Nielsen.
      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Ohh i actually dont know where you can buy one since im from Denmark but here we have something called FTZ that do them, but i will imagine you can find them anywhere i will help you searching for on in the uk..

Its NOT deeper actually they just put the screw on the outside, so that it becomes the lowest part of the sump..

I hope you understand my explanations
        Skilled Citroen Mechanic

Have diagnostic Lexia/Diagbox Tool

Comment

Originally posted by supernielsen View Post
          Ohh i actually dont know where you can buy one since im from Denmark but here we have something called FTZ that do them, but i will imagine you can find them anywhere i will help you searching for on in the uk..

Its NOT deeper actually they just put the screw on the outside, so that it becomes the lowest part of the sump..

I hope you understand my explanations
          Explanations are good thanks
          DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
          Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

It certainly makes sense, good post. Wonder why Citroen havent done a recall yet
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
              It certainly makes sense, good post. Wonder why Citroen havent done a recall yet
              Price.
              Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Nice post!
                White on red THP
                Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Toxic: Expect so. Will look at changing mine after second service.
                  sigpic
                  Jog on Noddy

Comment

I'm sure all club members would be willling to sign a petition and get it sent on to citroen UK to discuss this matter.

Comment

If the oil sits at the bottom of the sump, why is it an issue? If it finds its way into the engine then it is mixing with less lumpy oil so again no issue. Am I missing something, why not just take off the sump if it bothers people, less expensive and hardly time consuming.

Comment

Only problem I can see is that carbon sediment may settle there over time. Regular oil changes should help prevent this happening so much I would think.
                        White on red THP
                        Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Yep,changing oil regularly (before Citroens recommended service) and using good grade oil filter each time would suffice.
                          Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie@SPTuning View Post
                            Regular oil changes should help prevent this happening so much I would think.
                            Aha, so those who mocked me for changing my oil and filter every 5k can head to the dining room where slices of humble pie are being served

Comment

Think Csar on here recommended oil change every 6k miles as a minimum, and suggested the manufacturers had longer change times just to keep costs down for customers.
                              Then he said he changed his every time he'd had a track day.

Before winter and before summer should be OK for the normal user

Whilst the gunk should settle into a sediment and not get too dislodged, the OP position on the design is very pertinent, and out of warranty a good idea to change it out methinks.
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                              X