THP 150 Stutter under acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update:
    dealer informed me my problems are just a failed sparkplug thankfully...
    get to pick it up tomorrow morning.

Comment

How goes it cameron ?
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

Comment

got it back a day later.
        Turned out to be a melted spark plug,
        so they changed it and it was running great.

Then over the weekend I took it for a spin in the national park.
        Engine kept cutting out/clicking going up hills on high throttle.
        I ended up holding back because i don't
        want to contribute to damage.
        Going to see if the dealer will take a looj at it again today.

Also, on Lionheart I checked the injector duty cycles.
        cylinder 1: 7ms
        cylinder 2: 357ms
        cylinder 3: 1.16ms
        cylinder 4: 1.15ms

so looks to me like #2 cylinder is unhealthy, if lionheart is right.

Checked with Lionheart:

---
        Looking for Fault codes (generic and manufacturer specific):

2 fault codes found
        ---
        Retrieving freeze frame information:

Freeze frame information, fault 1
        Fault found: P1385
        Description:
        1385 Super knocking detected / Variable Cam Timing Solenoid B Malfunction

Conditions of fault appearance
        - Engine Speed 2145.5 RPM
        - Manifold absolute pressure 1880 mbar
        - Vehicle speed 65 km/h

Freeze frame information, fault 2
        Description:
        2339 - No description found in faultcode database

Comment

Sounds like the carbon issue with the inlet valves to me if fault code is superknock

Tried to download Lionheart myself, but couldnt get it to download from the web
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Left the car with the dealer just now,
            the dealer thinks it's the carbon issue too.
            They showed me their Citroen valve cleaning machine they plan to use on it, hopefully it's a good fix.

Did you try the Lionheart link here:
            http://www.etuners.gr/salex/lionhear...Setup0.7.5.exe

copy and paste into the browser,
            you'll also have to modify your usb-obd module as per here: (if you want to connect to the secondary PSA only CANBUS)
            http://www.etuners.gr/en/index.php?s=12&t=391

It's pretty easy, just soldering over some wires and putting in a switch if you want to switch between OBD modes.

Comment

Thats probably the machine they are using over here now. Was told they dont remove the cylinder head to clean any more. Thats good.
              Let us know how you go Cameron. Good luck Sport

Doubt i will go as far as modifying the OBD reader.
              When i had a problem with my turbo recently, no fault codes came up (Got Torque pro app on my mobile phone) thats why I am trying to download a good fault code reader.
              Laptop software is the way to go i believe
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

My dealer are pulling my engine apart to clean mine...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                  Thats probably the machine they are using over here now. Was told they dont remove the cylinder head to clean any more. Thats good.
                  Let us know how you go Cameron. Good luck Sport

Doubt i will go as far as modifying the OBD reader.
                  When i had a problem with my turbo recently, no fault codes came up (Got Torque pro app on my mobile phone) thats why I am trying to download a good fault code reader.
                  Laptop software is the way to go i believe

Interesting stuff, i'll be sure to report back, thanks for the positivity

One interesting thing i found out is that the ECU doesn't show all the error codes on Torque,
                  Just before I dropped my car off at Citroen I scanned it with Torque Pro - The scan came back empty
                  But then Lionheart showed the codes I posted. My guess is the ECU only shows all data on the secondary OBD bus.

As I understand it, the ELM327 does all the hard work interrogating the ECU, so in theory just about any program should be able to get the same error codes (as long as the ECU supplies them) - It's just looking up the table what the codes mean.
                  On the other hand, PID values as in the variables from all the sensors can be a challenge because some can change between manufacturers.

Originally posted by gaz_dsport View Post
                  My dealer are pulling my engine apart to clean mine...
                  I wonder if it's because they wanted to check the timing chain/tensioner at the same time?
                  Or if there's other damage suspected?
                  Huge difference in the amount of work required than just spraying the intake ports from the back of the engine.
                  On the plus side, this method will give you a much more thorough inspection.
                  Last edited by cameron20020; 04-11-2014, 04:55.

Comment

Just an update, got the car back.
                    They advised there was quite a bit of carbon build-up on the valves,
                    but now it's running like brand new.
                    I've been making some generous applications of the throttle to try and see if it wants to play up again, but seems to be all clear now.

Comment

Originally posted by cameron20020 View Post
                      I've been making some generous applications of the throttle to try and see if it wants to play up again, but seems to be all clear now.
                      Great news!
                      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by cameron20020 View Post
                        Fab- do you know if they removed the cylinder head to do the work?
                        sigpic
                        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                          Fab- do you know if they removed the cylinder head to do the work?
                          Honestly don't know for sure, but when I had a quick read of the manual for the tool they were using,
                          it looked like they just had to remove the inlet manifold...
                          Though I'd prefer having the head removed, because then they also get a chance to check the timing chain.

Comment

Been told what they do is similar to walnut blasting
                            "Inject a solution into the inlet manifold and then suck it out"

Dont know why it takes so long- but hey, so long as it works

Wouldnt want them dismantling the engine myself
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

I'm beginning to wish they had walnut blasting equipment.
                              Car has been running fine for a while, then I experienced the loss of power again going up a hill on boost/under load on the way home today.

My guess is, the Citroen procedure might clean the valves enough to make the problem go away for a bit... but might not be thorough enough for a long term fix.
                              Another worry is I've started hearing the timing chain rattle when the engine is cold... though on my last dealer visit they told me only to worry about it if it doesn't go away when the car is warmed up.

Will see if I can get it to play up again, and if so I'll be dropping it back at the dealers.
                              Wish they sold the diesel versions over in Australia, so much less problems.

Comment

Are there not enough DS3s in and around Sydney to merit a dealer walnut blaster purchase ?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X