No announcement yet.

THP 150 Stutter under acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I also have a DS3 DSport in Sydney of similar age. I have only just read this thread, and have also experienced similar loss of power as described at the beginning of the thread. At almost 30,000 Km, the engine has just been cleaned by the Citroen dealer, and this has improved the response and general feel of the engine.

I have yet to try the acceleration test to see if it still stutters.

One problem I had that led to the cleaning is that if the car is left unused for 2 days, starting the engine brings a cloud of black petrol smoke and uneven running for about 30 seconds. It clears itself, but the smoke and smell are not what I expect from a relatively new car. The engine was cleaned last week, this morning's start after leaving it over the weekend brought the familiar cloud.

Comment

Well goes to show the problem exists in cold and warm climates if there are a few examples over here too. I usually park in the street an old habit from having too big a car to get into my garage but when I get the car back I will put it in the garage and that will definitely show up any smoke on startup which I would immediately see as a problem not solved. In fact I would be putting in a catch can either way when my car comes back I think. I can't see Citroen replacing the Cylinder head with a new model one with the new PCV system some how the bean counters would find cleaning a better option. Even then not 100% sure whether mine is THP150 05 THP155 anyway but I will go and see a mate with a brand new RCZ and compare the engines.
      Originally posted by tgoodman View Post
      Hi, I also have a DS3 DSport in Sydney of similar age. I have only just read this thread, and have also experienced similar loss of power as described at the beginning of the thread. At almost 30,000 Km, the engine has just been cleaned by the Citroen dealer, and this has improved the response and general feel of the engine.

I have yet to try the acceleration test to see if it still stutters.

One problem I had that led to the cleaning is that if the car is left unused for 2 days, starting the engine brings a cloud of black petrol smoke and uneven running for about 30 seconds. It clears itself, but the smoke and smell are not what I expect from a relatively new car. The engine was cleaned last week, this morning's start after leaving it over the weekend brought the familiar cloud.

Comment

Have yous thought of using that BGK44 cleaner stuff. Realise it wont touch the valves, but it would clean other parts tho?
        Have a look online- member on here Superfly Guy rates it for his 150 that (I think) had a little stutter
        Would use it myself if ever get a stutter
        Cant beat a catch can don't think, tho
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Not to scare you guys but I had this fault and Citroen did the following:

Inlet manifold cleaner
          Engine out, head off - decoked
          Timing Chain replaced
          High pressure fuel pump change

End result... No fix.

Personally I thought my issue was down to the Timing chain tensioner - but as Citroen only told them to change the chain they refused to change the tensioner even though they were working in that area and the part costs peanuts!!

In the end I just handed the car back to them and got something else

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
            Have yous thought of using that BGK44 cleaner stuff. Realise it wont touch the valves, but it would clean other parts tho?
            Have a look online- member on here Superfly Guy rates it for his 150 that (I think) had a little stutter
            Would use it myself if ever get a stutter
            Cant beat a catch can don't think, tho
            As far as I am aware Chris the 44k does work on the valves, could be wrong but I am sure more qualified people can confirm or deny
            DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
            Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

Originally posted by Gazski66 View Post
              As far as I am aware Chris the 44k does work on the valves, could be wrong but I am sure more qualified people can confirm or deny

Just thinking of this quote from Czar on here in a thread:

It ( engine cleaner) will do absolutely nothing regarding any removal of settled carbon on the exhaust valves, due to the combustion process including the chemical cleaning additive introduced into the combustion chamber having taken place, furthermore any chemical cleaning additive introduced into a running engine especially a GDI (gasoline direct injection) will have no effect on any hard carbonisation build up on the backs of the inlet valves.

However- if you look at the product on the web, it suggests it will clean other parts, which can only be helpful
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Just to correct the subject title it would appear my DS3 DSport is a THP155 not a THP150.

The build plate is marked "SA5FV8 BUILT DATE 12/11" I now have been led to understand that SA5FV8 is for THP155 and SA5FR8 is for THP150.

Comment

Where is the build plate?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                    Just thinking of this quote from Czar on here in a thread:

It ( engine cleaner) will do absolutely nothing regarding any removal of settled carbon on the exhaust valves, due to the combustion process including the chemical cleaning additive introduced into the combustion chamber having taken place, furthermore any chemical cleaning additive introduced into a running engine especially a GDI (gasoline direct injection) will have no effect on any hard carbonisation build up on the backs of the inlet valves.

However- if you look at the product on the web, it suggests it will clean other parts, which can only be helpful
                    That makes sense Chris, was just going on the write up on the BG website

Comment

Where is the build plate?
                      Well the "plate" is actually a label on the door frame of the left hand door (passenger door for me). The code is in the middle of the chassis number as well of course. So my chassis number goes VF7 SA5FV8 CW "123456"

Comment

Thanks for the update, I guess you're waiting for it to come back from the dealer now to see if they have fixed the issue ?
                        sigpic

Comment

That makes sense Chris, was just going on the write up on the BG website
                          They will advertise that their product solves all, altho someone on here said even the fumes may help clean the valves
                          But the stuff will clean plenty other parts, and think I will try it in the Spring

ED Good luck with your motor Jonbays (Would still like to see the PCV layout on the engine)
                          Rear PCV delete, and catch can on the front pipe maybe, then?
                          Last edited by Chris_Blue; 03-12-2013, 22:51.
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

One week at the garage and the latest is that the new turbo has arrived. The cylinder head has been removed stripped and chemically cleaned and is being rebuilt with new seals etc. Still waiting on a new rocker cover assembly to come in though before the engine can be fully rebuilt. They need the car for another week probably maybe more depending on parts.

Citroen are paying the dealer all under warranty so everyone is happy enough.

Interesting to see what the new rocker cover is all about? A revised PCV system of some kind of course I will bet. Not complaining about a new turbo but can't see how that will help. The cylinder head cleaning sounds like it's all been done thoroughly which is good.

Just waiting for it all to be finished and glad I have a bicycle 40 years old but it still works and I don't mid riding in good weather while the car is out of action. Fortunate I can afford to be a Citroen owner and stand all these inconveniences and out of pocket expenses but you would have to say despite the joy of driving a DS3 DSport the ownership experience is poor. I haven't had a new car that needed this much work ever and I have been buying new cars every three to five years for myself since 1995.

Comment

Certainly getting your moneys worth out of the warranty- that's quite a list of stuff being done
                              As before- hope all goes well
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

I agree, you just wouldn't expect these issues with a new car purchase. I understand that anything manufactured can go wrong but these are similar issues on the same new cars
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X