Scratched alloy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratched alloy!

Absolutely fuming! Only managed to go & scratch one of my alloys today!!

Anyone know if it can be repaired? If not, how much am i looking at for a new one with fitting & where's the best place to go?

They're 17" alloys btw

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380385230.893436.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	365821Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380385239.340866.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	365822

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Oh feel your pain....

I'm not sure where you're from so I'd probably google for an alloy repair centre near you and ask for a quote and to see e.g's of their work, there is one local to us and there work looks awesome (about £80 max a wheel I think) but touch wood I haven't needed them.

If you want to compare the price of a new wheel you could contact Aidan at Partsworld-UK http://www.partsworld-uk.com/categor...y=FeaturedDesc he's also a forum member
    sigpic

Comment

There's been a few brand new ones on ebay recently for between £100/£140 keep a eye out.
      DS3 eHDI110 DSport+

Comment

Cheers mate, I'll google it to see if I can get it repaired, I'm so mad at myself, I've only had the car 6 weeks! Muppet!

Comment

it happens to the best of us hopefully you can get it repaired or replaced.
          Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Yeah- tis a bummer when that happens
            Scraped mine within 3 weeks (Previous THP 150)
            Horrible. cheeses you off for days
            As you may find looking at other threads, i just covered up the scratches with Rim protectors
            Bet the firm that took mine in part ex weren't happy when they took the protectors off- I put the protectors on before any kerbing now.
            And I only kerb prob twice a year!
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

The problem with these wheels are they are a diamond cut finish and run of the mill wheel refurb will just not cut it

Comment

Had diamond cut finish on my old Mundano wheels. I kernes an alloy a few days before part x'ing it.

I used several grades of wet/dry until it was smooth. Then went to work with metal polish and finished off with clear lacquer. Standing up it wasn't noticeable at all and the Salesman that pointed out all the minor blemishes on the body work didn't say a word about the alloys.

If you are a handy person, and willing to spend a couple of hours of meticulous work ... You can reduce the severity of the look of the damage.

Comment

I've contacted a company that does diamond cut repairs so just waiting to hear back.

Failing that I've found a new alloy for £225 incl fitting from caraccessoriesplus - anyone heard of them?

Def wont buy from ebay as I know there's a lot of fakes floating around, found one on there for £120 but no way to tell if it's legit.

EDIT: I've checked out caraccessoriesplus and they're a legit outfit so if I cant get it repaired I'll get it replaced.

Last edited by Timberflake; 28-09-2013, 20:15.

Comment

Ok, so I've spoken to one company who come out to your house and he said the only way to repair it so it's like new is to machine lathe it (which he doesn't do) and would probably involve sending the alloy off.

He said that he could smooth out the scratches and then paint over it so it's not visible, although he did say there would be a slight difference in colour. Quoted me £60.

I've contacted two other places so will see what they say, I'd like to go the machine way if possible if it means getting the alloy like new again.

Comment

I'm probably in the minority here, but buying a new alloy just because you have kerbed it seems a little excessive to me.

* EDIT*
                      Just looked at the picture and mine are like that pretty much all over both front wheels ha ha ha ha.

Comment

That's not my preferred option, a repair is obviously the route I want to go. I've found a place near me that sounds like it machine lathe's them so will give them a call.

Failing that i'll buy a new wheel, It'll just bug me if I don't!

Comment

Originally posted by Timberflake View Post
                          That's not my preferred option, a repair is obviously the route I want to go. I've found a place near me that sounds like it machine lathe's them so will give them a call.

Failing that i'll buy a new wheel, It'll just bug me if I don't!

Nice one, I looked into buying some DS3R wheels until Aidan briefed me on the price, il stick with my scratched alloys (and dented sill).

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly Guy View Post
                            Nice one, I looked into buying some DS3R wheels until Aidan briefed me on the price, il stick with my scratched alloys (and dented sill).
                            I found a replacement 17" Bellone for £225 incl. fitting. How much were the racing alloys??

Comment

Originally posted by Timberflake View Post
                              I found a replacement 17" Bellone for £225 incl. fitting. How much were the racing alloys??

£1800 I think, might have been more.

Comment

Working...
                              X