No announcement yet.

What kind of USB stick works best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Cruzer Fit 32 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive made by SanDisk, the one Citroen supplied is a proper USB stick. Have the problem with both.

Comment

Originally posted by grant_w View Post
      Yes, I use a 16GB one of those exact drives. I've also tried a USB drive that I was given from work (so not a branded one), and both had my original problem of coming up with the error or randomly skipping songs, but it only happened every few days/once or twice a week.
      Since the car has had the software update I now get the error almost every time I start the car. Just turning the electrics on, it reads the USB stick fine, you only get the error when you start the engine.
      Okay so you are still having some issues by the looks of it.

So just to get this straight when the ignition is on the USB plays and works normal. It only fails when the engine is switched on?
      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
      Bigfeet's File Repository
      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
        Okay so you are still having some issues by the looks of it.

So just to get this straight when the ignition is on the USB plays and works normal. It only fails when the engine is switched on?
        Yes, that's correct, I get the error telling me "Error - Device Failed". If I then pull out the USB stick and put it back in again after that message, it works fine.

As a test, I've gone back to my original USB stick before I bought the Cruzer Fit drive, and the old one has worked fine for the last 2 days.

Comment

Hmm.... I wonder then if there is a design issue with the USB or not.

The USB is not partitioned in any way, sometimes USB's come with software installed on board.
          ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
          Bigfeet's File Repository
          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by grant_w View Post
            Yes, that's correct, I get the error telling me "Error - Device Failed". If I then pull out the USB stick and put it back in again after that message, it works fine.

As a test, I've gone back to my original USB stick before I bought the Cruzer Fit drive, and the old one has worked fine for the last 2 days.
            That would indicate an issue with the new USB device. If you're unable to replicate this with a different device it's unlikely to be the car/port at fault.
            cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

It's a brand new USB stick, I've tried reformatting it (as FAT32) and it still does the same.
              The garage said they tried a few different USB sticks and they got the fault with my one once and no faults with any others at all.
              It didn't do this before I had the screen software update last week though, so it would seem it is something to do with that, but I can't see why it would only occur when you switch the engine on.

As mentioned on the other thread, I've started using the Jukebox, I might just upload everything from the USB stick to there and not use the USB port to play music from, just upload from it every once in a while

Comment

It may be worth checking the USB on a computer, you could have a bad one (I know I had one which worked fine on a PC and a Mac but wouldn't work on a hifi since it had bad sectors)

http://download.cnet.com/USB-Flash-D...-10810585.html

Comment

Latest in the saga.

I transferred all of the mp3s from the USB to the Jukebox, about 260 odd songs and unplugged the USB, and was using everything fine from there all week, until this morning when the Jukebox showed "Error - Device Failed" while I was listening to the radio! Its like it still plays stuff in the background while I'm listening to the radio. It did this when I used the USB to play from too.
                  So now I get the error from the Jukebox, I am guessing it has a problem with one of the songs. My problem is narrowing it down to one of the 260

I couldn't get into the Jukebox for about 10 minutes to remove the files from it, just kept coming up with the error again, but finally did, so now have cleared the Jukebox completely and I'll start adding the filed gradually to narrow it down

Comment

My Cruzer fit started failing in my GTi, so I got a Sandisk Ultra Fit which works perfectly

https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/usb-flash/ultra-fit-usb

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
                    Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Deleted everything from my Jukebox and added just a few songs this morning, after playing about 3-4 songs "Device Failed" had to delete everything again!

Comment

Working...
                      X