This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting After Market Head Unit Guide

This is a guide to connecting an after market head unit. The Connects2 adaptor i am using is for both control stalks and reverse parking sensor.

If you dont have one or the other, then you wont need this adaptor but a different one depending on your connections.

I take no responsabilty for any damages you may cause changing your head unit. This is just a guide to what i did to use an after market head unit.

Alpine unit with supplied wires and lock cage

[IMG][/IMG]

At the back of the unit you will find these sockets. The RCA ports are for a subwoofer and amplifiers. I use the 2 bottoms ones to connect the sub in the boot.

[IMG][/IMG]

The 2 little jack sockets are for the microphone and the patch lead. Microphone comes with the head unit.

[IMG][/IMG]

The black socket is for the main unit to be plugged into the car . But since it cannot be connected directly to the cars harness, your going to need a connects2 or auto leads adaptor.

[IMG][/IMG]

This connection is for ipods and other mp3 connections. Connection lead to use this is sold seperate.

[IMG][/IMG]

This socket is the the fakra radio aerial will show you how to connect it up further down.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the lead that comes with the head unit.

[IMG][/IMG]

All you need to do with this is connect the yellow wires togther. They clip on when pushed togther.
    Do the same with the orange wires. Do the same with the red ones.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

These ends of the head unit lead will connect to the connects2 leads

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the connects2 adaptor without it you wont be able to connect an aftermarket head unit.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Remus; 17-02-2011, 17:19.

These 2 connection points from the connects2 lead will be hooked onto the lead that came with the head unit. Just push the together until they clip in. They only go into one or the other socket, so you cant really connect the wrong ones.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This picture shows them connected together to the head unit lead.

[IMG][/IMG]

This end from the connects2 lead connects to the main wiring harness in the car. It just hooks together and locks into place as it would on the standard head unit.

[IMG][/IMG]

From this picture you can see that there are no connection points at the bottom where you would plug the USB wiring. You will lose the USB connection.

[IMG][/IMG]

This connection point is from the connects2 lead and plugs directly into the connects 2 adaptor block.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

This is the socket for that connection.

[IMG][/IMG]

Just plug it directly until it clicks.

[IMG][/IMG]

This end is also from the connects2 lead, and plugs onto the other side of the connects2 adaptor block.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the patch lead. The patch lead is needed to control the headunit from the control stalk under the steering wheel. You will need to purchase the correct one to go with your head unit. e.g. Alpine head unit = Alpine patch lead. Pioneer head unit = Pioneer patch lead.

[IMG][/IMG]

This end of the patch lead connects onto the connects2 adaptor block.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This end of the patch lead connect directly onto the back of the head unit as in the picture below.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This end connects to the back of the main head unit as in the picture below.

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You will probably not need to use these 3 wires. One is for reverse camera, Speed pulse for built in sat navs and the other is for parking. (Not sure what they mean by that).

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the connection you will need to use the radio.

[IMG][/IMG]

This end plugs onto the back of the head unit connection.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

This end plugs onto the radio socket from the car.

[IMG][/IMG]

And thats it. Picture below shows the complete connection. Its a tight squeeze getting all this inside the the head unit opening. But it can be done.

[IMG][/IMG]

If you need any more info or if i have left some thing out let me know

Comment

Nice guide and great pictures, going to be very helpful to some!

I take it Remus you don't have the Bluetooth on your DS3?

*Scratch that! Just read your other thread!*
          Last edited by Bigfeet; 17-02-2011, 09:22.
          ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
          Bigfeet's File Repository
          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Great guide. Ive made it a sticky, so to speak.
            C2 GT #2003

LIFE HAS RULES & SO DO THESE FORUMS.... DS3Club rules: Click Here

Comment

Very nice thread Remus, good to see someone that also thinks knowledge is for sharing

Comment

Fantastic thread Remus....Is there going to be a thread for fitting aftermarket subwoofer ??

Comment

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies

I'm in the process of writing up a guide for installing a subwoofer plus how to wire it up without making holes in the body work.

Plus I will post a few pictures and guide on how to disable the built in sub.

Thanks again .

Comment

Thanks Remus your a star.......

Iv'e been thinking about buying an aftermarket head unit to see if this will improve sound quality.

Been looking at Sony MEXBT3800U...which has built in bluetooth.

Wondering what i will lose when fitting a new head unit & what connections are required ??.

Wasn't goin to fit a amp & sub in the boot for now...(May do that later date)

Will my existing sub still work....Usb,Aux Sockets & bluetooth handsfree i take it will be redundant ??

From what i can gather i will need........

Head Unit
                    Sony Patch Lead
                    Connects2 Adaptor Block (Allow me to use the stalk)
                    Connects2 Lead
                    Fakra Radio Arial Lead

Links would be a great help where to buy Leads...

Your help guys would be really appreciated as i'm crap at all this not a techy i'm afraid....lol.

Thanks Clarky
                    Last edited by Clarky; 18-02-2011, 08:57.

Comment

Hey Clarky.

There will be a big improvement in the sound quality even through the stock speakers with an after market unit. I can honestly say that.

You will lose the USB and the Aux socket functions, plus the bluetooth. But as you have mentioned, your Sony headunit has bluetooth built in plus USB and Aux so i would not worry about it. Just make sure the head unit comes with a mic as the built in one wont work. It's very easy to install an after market mic anyways. I will post the "how to "on a few stuff but i have been very busy lately and had no time to finish it all. Exisiting sub will still function unless you disable it which is a case of just pulling the plug and play adaptor out

I purchased mine from Dynamic Sounds They are based in London. Guy there named Bill sorted a few leads for me and delivered them next day.

Some advice to anyone thinking of purchased from Car Audio Centre...DONT

So in short you will need:

Aerial Adaptor
                      Head Unit
                      Patch Lead
                      Connects2 interface. If you have both stalk controls and reverse parking sensors then you will need this adaptor.
                      Model no: CTHCT01

If you just want stalk controls then it's this Model No: CTSCT003

If you just want reverse parking sensors then it's this Model No: CTRCT001

And you will need the Fakra to ISO Aerial Adaptor Model No: PC5-136 (Auto Leads)

Hope all this help M8.
                      Last edited by Remus; 23-02-2011, 10:54.

Comment

Very Helpful Remus !

Comment

Thankyou Remus for all your help...Really appreciate the info mate.

Cheers Clarky,

Comment

Right Guys fitted Aftermarket head unit today...I went for this pioneer headunit in the end http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/pione...l-p-24373.html.

I liked the fact i could change the dispaly colour or even have it scanning all 30 colours lol.

Found it easy to install.......Purchased the CTSCT003 stalk controller cable....Pioneer Patch lead....Fakra arial adaptor lead (There are different leads for each make of stereo) I had to get an arial adaptor to fit my Pioneer.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWIEEEEEEEEEEE WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT IT MAKES ....I Reckon by 80%

I can honestly say fitting the aftermarket head unit has released the full potential of the standard speakers....In my opinion no need to change them !!!.

Obviously gains depends on the head unit you choose...For me the plus side is being able to adjust audio settings & boy theres a lot of settings to tinker with lol...

Distortion and vibrations have totally gone from speakers unless you blow them of course.

Subwoofer works much better....Also have function of the stalk controls...

Obviously fitting the aftermarket headunit looses the use of the USB and Auxillary socket & bluetooth connection.

You will also loose track & album information from display panel but this info is on the headunit.

Time & Date are still displayed though.

If your wondering if you will lose the code if you want to fit your old headunit back in...Dont worry you wont, simply plug it back in....Everything will work as normal.

Big thankyou to Remus for all his help without your help mate i wouldn't of attempted it

Now waiting to see how to fit subwoofer lol.

My advice to anyone who is thinking of upgrading and like me you like your music then this mod is a must...I promise you wont be dissapointed.

Hope this helps others Clarky.
                            Last edited by Clarky; 27-02-2011, 14:43.

Comment

Hi people. First post.

Just joined to say thanks to Remus for such an informative guide.

Getting a DS3 White in a couple of weeks, and was hoping I could get my Alpine IDX-001 head unit in it.

By the looks of it, it's possible!

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X