No announcement yet.

The resurrection of the racing......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really enjoying this thread too, appreciating your skills! Takes me back 50 years when I was rebuilding my 'Ford Special' engines. They were a tad simpler to work on lol.

Comment

What a great skill to have, i would love to learn to do some work on mine but im clueless and dont have time to learn

Comment

Just noticed those broken pistons are not DS3R, they are standard THP. So someone has either swapped out the pistons or it has an engine dropped in at some point?
        White on red THP
        Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Awesome work Tommy!!! Is there a link available for the workshop manual? If not where can I get one?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Jamie, the engine that was supplied from the car had already been stripped down.
            I noticed N14B16 stamped on the engine block, so I presumed it has already been replaced at some stage.
            Being a Racing, there is a good change that this is the 3rd or 4th time the engine has been re-built or replaced.

Comment

So for the last two weeks I have been putting all of the ancillarys back on the engine.
              The fluids were filled.

I connected diagbox and read the codes from the ECM. There were codes for superknock and misfire codes on all cylinders.
              I erased the codes and used the actuator test feature to check the operation of the solenoids and the additional coolant pump.

After I was confident that the harness was connected correctly I cranked the engine with the key.
              The engine burst into life within seconds of cranking, it sounded perfect and idled smoothly.

I checked for leaks, unfortunately I had an oil leak and a coolant leak!

The next day I diagnosed the leaks to be the turbo oil feed pipe and the thermostat housing.
              If you have worked on a THP engine, you will know that that it is a horrible job to replace both parts.
              Anyway, PSA central parts in Birmingham has both parts on the shelf.
              £180, 5 hours and a lot of swearing later, the new oil feed and thermostat were fitted. I re-filled the coolant and ran the engine until the fan cut it.
              I am happy to say that the engine work is complete (for now), the car starts and drives well.
              I am yet to take it for a proper test drive as the car has no MOT or tax.

Comment

IMG_0162 by Tom Mann, on Flickr

IMG_0163 by Tom Mann, on Flickr

IMG_0171 by Tom Mann, on Flickr

IMG_0172 by Tom Mann, on Flickr

Comment

Here are come pictures of how it looks built back up and cleaned.

IMG_0173 by Tom Mann, on Flickr

IMG_0174 by Tom Mann, on Flickr

Comment

My next job is to sort out the rest of the carbon trims.
                    For some reason they have been polished or clear coated.

IMG_0175 by Tom Mann, on Flickr

You can see the difference between the bumper trim and the arch trim.
                    I have already matt clear coated all of the passenger side and the splitter.
                    I aim to get the rest done in the next couple of weeks plus get an MOT done.

Comment

Amazing thread, great work!

Comment

Cracking work Tommy D . Bet you can't wait to get it taxed and MOT'd so you can take her out for a proper test drive.
                        DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

is it a keeper, or seller- lots work there, so hope you get your money back
                          You certainly are a skilled person to do all that without a manual

sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

It is booked in for its MOT tomorrow at 4.
                            Fingers crossed..........

Unfortunately I may have to sell it once I have run the engine in.
                            I have just bought a new house and no longer have access to the double garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy D View Post
                              It is booked in for its MOT tomorrow at 4.
                              Fingers crossed..........

Unfortunately I may have to sell it once I have run the engine in.
                              I have just bought a new house and no longer have access to the double garage.
                              Let's hope it passes and let us know how you get on. It would be gutting if you have to sell it on already after all your hard graft, without having any time to enjoy the fruits of your labour.
                              DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

Good news.....
                                I now have an MOT.
                                It initially failed due to the rear fog lamp not working, we have a look at the MOT station and found that the connector for the rear lamp was corroded.
                                I think the corrosion is due to some damage on the light unit.

There were some advisory's:
                                • Nearside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
                                • Offside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
                                • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge 3.0mm (5.2.3 (e))
                                • Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge 3.0mm (5.2.3 (e))
                                • Coolant leak Bottom hose to radiator ()
                                • Rear Exhaust mounting defective (6.1.2 (a))

The coolant leak has been sorted, this just needed the hose clamp adjusting slightly.
                                The exhaust bracket mounting has snapped off, I will get this welded back on.
                                The tyres will go for a few miles yet, I will get a pair fitted soon.
                                The front discs have surface corrosion due to the fact the car was standing for some time. Hopefully these will clean up.

After the MOT was done, I put some fuel in and taxed it.
                                I drove about 30 miles last night.

I had forgotten how much fun these cars are to drive. The handling is excellent and the brakes are powerful.
                                The engine pulls like a train!!!!
                                I haven't taken it over 4000rpm as I am running the engine in but initial signs are good.

Comment

Working...
                                X