No announcement yet.

Tom's Simple Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washed the car a few days back and realised some of the vinyl was peeling off from the car. So I emailed Craig from Street-Race.Org yesterday explaining this. Woke up this morning to a parcel with a whole new vinyl kit inside! Would really recommend Street-Race as there so efficient and great customer service

Belle Ile Blue
    /Onyx Black - VTI 120 - DStyle

Check Out My Custom Subwoofer Boot Build

http://ds3club.co.uk/showthread.php?...-s-Simple-Mods

Comment

• Not updated this in a while, but have recently added a parrot kit into the car, really like the connectivity options this now gives me

Last edited by Tommy95; 18-05-2013, 19:39.

Belle Ile Blue

Comment

• Apologies for the really long post, skip to the bottom for the final pics if you wish.

Right, so I'm revisiting the boot build project that I was going to do a long time ago but due to work ext never got round to it.

So I tried to use my old vibe subwoofer and take this apart to put it into the floor, but after looking inside I didn't fancy puling the box apart to get the bits out, so I invested in some new gear. I didn't want anything expensive and wasn't too fussed about the make, but it had to sound nice.

So after doing some research and listening to various subs and sizes I settled on a 12" Juice subwoofer powered by a Juice Amp

After the gear arrived I tested it to see if it worked and it did (played for about 2-3 mins) then set to work on deciding where to put it

So to make the wooden floor I just traced around the floor in the boot and cut it out, I had to sand down various placed as it was a very tight fit. But it ended up looking like this

Next was to mark out where it was all going and router the hole for the sub

Once the hole was cut I set about sorting the wiring out and trial fitting the sub and amp. The blue glow on the picture is the blue boot LED's I have.

Next went onto testing the setup for vibrations and noise in the car. From the drivers seat it sounded great, so I turned it up a little to which my neighbour came running out saying my car was making a terrible vibrating sound lol This is how it sounds from the outside (CLICK TO PLAY)

Turns out it was just the cables being too long and vibrating in the wheel well.

Not without going into too much detail, switched the car on bank holiday monday to hear no bass, looked in the boot to find the amp had no power. After doing some fault finding turns out the inline fuse had blown. Put in a new fuse, powered it on and the amp just displayed a red LED and didn't do anything. So after contacting the shop I brought it from they talked me through various steps to try and make it work. Still no luck. They agreed it was a faulty unit and set about sending out a replacement. In the meantime I tried to fit the carpet which my uncle kindly let me have, its a bit small but not noticeable when in the boot.

So about a week passed and I received the new amp. I plugged it in, hit play and it was working fine, I then paused it to talk to my neighbour for a minute or two.

Afterward I pressed play again to find the fuse had blown again… Same thing had happened, red LED and no sound. So the next day Me and my grandad took a trip over to Car Audio Centre Leicester to see what they had to say about it. They told me that the amp was fine just in a protection mode, meaning it had found a problem in the system somewhere? The told me to check all of my wiring, grandad brought me a new line converter (Thank You ) and was told to them know if it still didn't work. So I came home and checked everything, still nothing.

So I plugged my old sub in and this worked perfectly, so I phoned him to which he replied il book you in for thursday evening to discuss where to go from here. So I went with this setup for a few days

So thursday came and me and dad went over to the shop. Chris (the guy from the shop) couldn't work out why it wasn't working and tried a different amp in my car which worked perfectly. So I agreed to a swap and came away.

I got home and plugged in my sub to test it, the amp powered on and all seemed fine, except no bass was being produced. My heart dropped for a second until I noticed that the green led was on, so I checked the halfords rca converter to find the floor had sat on it and destroyed it lol

So I wired up the new one and plugged that it

Old one with hole

New studier one

Wired up

So if your still reading this then thank you It all seems to be working now apart from the blue LED ring on the new amp but to be honest for the sake of an led I simply can't be bothered to swap it again

Some pics of the almost finished setup

Then for everyday use (Temporary Setup)

So, What Do You Think?
        Last edited by Tommy95; 24-05-2013, 15:22.

Belle Ile Blue

Comment

• liking it especially the fact you can put floor back down and still use the boot, tht`d be only thing stopping me do mine

Comment

• Lots of frustration in that build. But got there in the end.
            Originally posted by cyclone
            It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
            Originally posted by Broda
            I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

• How's the sound with the original mat in place ?
              sigpic

Comment

• I need to put my sub back in =[
                sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
                Third time around.
                Work in Progress

Comment

• Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                  How's the sound with the original mat in place ?
                  Sounds fine, dampens the sound a little but when turned up its not noticeable.

Really happy with the result!

Belle Ile Blue

Comment

• Need to check it out next time im in coventry

Comment

• I'm copying this, what did you do with your tire repair kit?
                      sigpic.

Third time around.
                      Work in Progress

Comment

• To be honest I have just left it in the boot for now. I am working on a design for adding this into the setup whilst still leaving it removable for shows ect. If you have any ideas or need any info i'm happy to share

some more pics

Belle Ile Blue

Comment

• Re the repair kit, it's not pretty but wouldn't it fit in the elastic strap on the left side of the boot (just visible under the grill you remove to access the lights) ?
                          sigpic

Comment

• whats the vibration like on the surround with that in?
                            94JDA

Comment

• I think I'm going to try and move everything over to the left and have build another floor above in thinner ply, but with the sub and amp still on show but hide the kit under the right half, if you understand xD
                              sigpic.

Third time around.
                              Work in Progress

Comment

• Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                                Re the repair kit, it's not pretty but wouldn't it fit in the elastic strap on the left side of the boot (just visible under the grill you remove to access the lights) ?
                                I've tried that before and it comes out even on the gentlest of corners.
                                Proud owner of missing wonky stickers

Comment

Working...
                                X