• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics will be put up later for you once I have taken them
    DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
    Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

I'll be watching this but Arthur lost me in post #15 lol

I've never taken anything off or opened anything in my engine bay except the wiper fluid cap lol
      Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150424_121718.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	359416

Name:	IMG_20150424_121730.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	359417

Name:	IMG_20150424_121741.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	359418

DS3 2012-Reg 110-HDI DSport.

Comment

2013 eHDi Airdream

2013 eHDi 115 by lfcrule1972, on Flickr

More available on my flickr
          Last edited by lfcrule1972; 24-04-2015, 12:44.
          sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for the pics. It seems we have enough diesel pictures now Now we only need to figure out a "Smart" intake location.
            In the mean time, would be nice to get some pics of the petrols, no?

Comment

This is a 2010 1.6 THP, might be a bit old for you but here are some pics

Name:	Eng1.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	359427

Name:	Eng2.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	359428

Name:	Eng3.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	359429

Name:	Eng4.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	359430

Comment

Gazski66 - how many breather/vacuum hose connectors are connected to the intake hose that's missing in the picture? 3 or 4?

Comment

An updade for the diesel owners:
                  I had a look at the citroen part catalogues, where all the internal intake parts can be seen and have to say the HDI DS3 is really a tough one to crack.
                  A kit can be done, but as far as I can see, the filter will remain just behind the AFM, near it's original location. This is because the AFM can not be moved not to cause trouble to it's readings. That spot is not ideal, but unfortunatelly we can not do anything better with it. There shouldn't be any worries of heat soak, as the hot turbo and manifolds are at the front of the engine, then we have some fresh air coming from the original air feed duct and most importantly, it's a turbo application, where the turbo sucks in air more quicker than it can actually warm up. So we'll just have to settle for this.
                  Gains? In theory we should (and will) first of all free up the air intake from it's restrictive box (looking at the part catalogues, it seems that it's really restrictive, possibly it's for the sound dampening) and add a little improvement to the intake hose in between AFM and turbo. There might be some noticible improvements for the stock cars, but this upgrade sure will serve as a good upgrade for the remapped cars for further tuning possabilities.

Let me hear your thoughts on this one - should we then continue and go ahead with the development of this kit?

Comment

Originally posted by Torque7 View Post
                    Gazski66 - how many breather/vacuum hose connectors are connected to the intake hose that's missing in the picture? 3 or 4?
                    not sure, will look tomorrow and get back to you

Comment

I had a look at the citroen part catalogues, where all the internal intake parts can be seen and have to say the HDI DS3 is really a tough one to crack.
                      A kit can be done, but as far as I can see, the filter will remain just behind the AFM, near it's original location. This is because the AFM can not be moved not to cause trouble to it's readings. That spot is not ideal, but unfortunatelly we can not do anything better with it. There shouldn't be any worries of heat soak, as the hot turbo and manifolds are at the front of the engine, then we have some fresh air coming from the original air feed duct and most importantly, it's a turbo application, where the turbo sucks in air more quicker than it can actually warm up. So we'll just have to settle for this.
                      Gains? In theory we should (and will) first of all free up the air intake from it's restrictive box (looking at the part catalogues, it seems that it's really restrictive, possibly it's for the sound dampening) and add a little improvement to the intake hose in between AFM and turbo. There might be some noticible improvements for the stock cars, but this upgrade sure will serve as a good upgrade for the remapped cars for further tuning possabilities.

Let me hear your thoughts on this one - should we then continue and go ahead with the development of this kit?
                      This is sounding quite promising
                      Aka:
                      Alex

:ds3:
                      Blue Phoenix
                      DStyle+ 1.6 e-HDi

Comment

As above, I think this sounds interesting, re the development do you have a feel for cost once developed
                        sigpic

Comment

I would love one for the HDi, but it depends on the price.

Comment

Hello Torque7 (Arthur) I'm all for British engineering, I might have 1 or 2 questions, as you're development progresses, however for now, I've highlighted where you mention heat soak, and turbo air velocity, how will this effect you're proposed re-design of the air intake, through either an open or sealed (as the OEM) air intake system ?

Good luck with you're project/s and if I can be of any assistance, feel free to ask.
                            Performance Powered By Thought
                            Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                              As above, I think this sounds interesting, re the development do you have a feel for cost once developed
                              Regarding price - I could give a rough price when I know the approx length of the OE pipe going from the turbo to the AFM, and how many breather/vacuum connectors does it have. Based on that I can give an approx price of the HDI kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Czar View Post
                                Hello Torque7 (Arthur) I'm all for British engineering, I might have 1 or 2 questions, as you're development progresses, however for now, I've highlighted where you mention heat soak, and turbo air velocity, how will this effect you're proposed re-design of the air intake, through either an open or sealed (as the OEM) air intake system ?

Good luck with you're project/s and if I can be of any assistance, feel free to ask.
                                Originally posted by Czar View Post

Hi Czar,

Our intakes are always of an open design. For this we use an open twin cone "pod" filter.
                                Heat soak - to avoid it as much as possible, the intake has to be routed as closer to a cold spot in the engine bay as possible. In N/A applications the intake pipe can be much longer than in forced induction applications and for this reason it is much easier to route the piping in those cars. For "blown" cars, idealy you would have the filter sitting directly on the turbo itself, due to the fact that turbo sucks air in with huge (compared to atmospheric) pressure. So the longer the pipe, the more restrictive pressure it creates. SInce we have an AFM located where it is now, we have to route the pipe at least to that spot, which means the back of an engine. The good thing is that we don't have such a long mandatory pipe and another good thing is that as I mentioned before, at the back the heat soak should be much less that at the front where we have the hot turbo and both manifolds. So yes, heat soak is present, but not as much. Plus again, the turbo sucks the air at much greater speed than it is drawn in N/A cars, so again it's not the end of the world here (of course it would be great to avoid it, but in these cars we just CAN'T, due to AFM location).

It's just a matter of trial and test (what we have done with the petrol C2 kit with it's unusual routing and filter location)

Comment

Working...
                                X