No announcement yet.

Oil Catch can emptied on a THP 155, after 1396 miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great- dont remember seeing the explanation on here, but thanks.
    Not totally understanding the rear PCV bit, but due to normally being open, because normally under vacuum, theres no oil vapour coming thru, or minimal? Something like that?
    Totally get the water bit- makes sense

Not sure whether worth fitting rear can now.
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
      Great- dont remember seeing the explanation on here, but thanks.
      Not totally understanding the rear PCV bit, but due to normally being open, because normally under vacuum, theres no oil vapour coming thru, or minimal? Something like that?
      Totally get the water bit- makes sense

Not sure whether worth fitting rear can now.
      There will always be oil particles suspended in the crankcase windage, and as the rear PCV line is open the majority of the time, there will always be oil particles pass through the rear PCV into the inlet manifold, so anything you can do to minimise the oil particles reaching the inlet manifold and subsequently the inlet tract and inlet valves, is a positive, prevention is better than a cure.

That said, even if you were to effectively stop 100% of the oil particles passing through the PCV venting outlets, you will always suffer from carbon deposit building up on the inlet valves and valve seat, this is from un burnt fuel particles, and oil particles which pass the piston rings (crankcase pressure windage) and find themselves in the combustion chamber, once in the combustion chamber, the suspended particles will coagulate and settle on the piston crown, and the valves, both inlet and exhaust, this situation of carbon build up, will take a greater length of time before what we now commonly see with the inclusive PVC lines adding the suspended oil particles into the air inlet tract.
      Performance Powered By Thought
      Engineered Horsepower

Comment

My OCC has a dipstick and although there is evidence of oil vapour on it, there is none collected in the can.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly Guy View Post
          My OCC has a dipstick and although there is evidence of oil vapour on it, there is none collected in the can.
          Have a look mid way through winter- you will get a different position then, I'm sure
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Have a look mid way through winter- you will get a different position then, I'm sure
            Yip, just starting to see a bit more moisture in the mornings.

Comment

Dont think the THP engines like winter much. Always a few more rattles and such like on start up
              Specially below Zero
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Well mine will be carbon free before that sets in

Comment

How u mean?
                  sigpic
                  Jog on Noddy

Comment

How u mean?
                    As in no naughty carbon where it shouldn't be.

Comment

either way the rest of the engine, from combustion chamber, Exhaust valves, Lambda sensors, Cat, exhaust will be full of the carbon produced by oil deposits being burnt as they pass the inlet valves. Wallnut shell blasting does not clean any of that.
                      Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Originally posted by Toxic View Post
                        either way the rest of the engine, from combustion chamber, Exhaust valves, Lambda sensors, Cat, exhaust will be full of the carbon produced by oil deposits being burnt as they pass the inlet valves. Wallnut shell blasting does not clean any of that.
                        Same as any other car.
                        Originally posted by cyclone
                        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                        Originally posted by Broda
                        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by Toxic View Post
                          REASON WHY - Petrol DS3s, specifically the higher tuned models, are susceptible to increased carbonisation causing amongst others, deteriorating performance, inconsistent acceleration and uneven idling.
                          INTENT - To have the carbonisation around accessible parts of the engine removed or minimised.
                          AIM - It is therefore my aim to travel up to SP Tuning at the earliest convenience in order that Jamie conducts walnut blasting on the engine.

Comment

REASON WHY - Petrol DS3s, specifically the higher tuned models, are susceptible to increased carbonisation causing amongst others, deteriorating performance, inconsistent acceleration and uneven idling.
                            INTENT - To have the carbonisation around accessible parts of the engine removed or minimised.
                            AIM - It is therefore my aim to travel up to SP Tuning at the earliest convenience in order that Jamie conducts walnut blasting on the engine.
                            When are you going up SFG?
                            DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
                            Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

What's your theory behind this statement, why are in your words "higher tuned models" more susceptible to carbonisation, than regular untuned models ?
                              Performance Powered By Thought
                              Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by Gazski66 View Post
                                When are you going up SFG?
                                Monday

Comment

Working...
                                X