This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Technical]Engine additives and engine cleaning

Let me see if I can explain and enlighten to anybody who might be interested to know a little more about any chemical additive solution (TerraClean and other additives) premium fuel, Methanol or indeed water when introduced into the otherwise dry air intake on our THP engines, or any DGI (gasoline direct injection) engine, as a measure to clean the air intake tract and inlet valves.

Firstly, let's get our heads around a regular port fuel injected engine, this is where we inject under pressure 5-7bar or for the old school, 72-101psi a metered amount of fuel directly into the intake manifold, this is known as a wet intake system, meaning the fuel will continuously wash the inside of the intake manifold, the air intake tract and of corse the all important back of the inlet valve/s.

Even though modern engine emissions require the crankcase to be internally vented, this is no problem to a regular wet intake system (port injection) as the injected fuel will always wash and keep any suspended oil particles from forming within the air intake manifold, air intake tract and the back of the inlet valve/s.

Now let's look at GDI (gasoline direct injection) we have a dry intake system, furthermore to optimise GDI with its amazing MPG statistics, we have to increase the compression ratio to maximise efficiency from the turbo, we also run very very high fuel pressures 50-150bar or for the old school 725-2175psi it's this atomisation of the fuel which gives us the amazing precise control of the fuel to be injected in very very precise amounts, resulting in the incredible MPG.

All this increase in compression pressure generates heat, which in the GDI case on one hand is a good thing, this increase in heat allows for precise fuel control (MPG) and emissions, on the other hand, this increased working heat, is part of the equation to quickly coagulate the suspended oil particles which are vented for the purpose of strict regulated emissions, into the dry air intake system, take note, there is no fuel to wash the air intake system!

Hopefully you will now have an understanding between the two types of fuel systems,

So along come various chemical additive solutions which claim to clean carbon deposit from the troubled back of the inlet valves of a GDI (gasoline direct injection) engine, some claim to do this from adding the chemical additive directly into the petrol tank, how on earth can this clean the back of the inlet valves on a dry intake system ? It simply can't, period.

The only way to clean the inlet tract and back of the inlet valve/s with any chemical additive, premium fuel, Methanol or indeed water is to inject it, under pressure, more on that in a moment, directly into the otherwise dry air intake system.

Taking note of what I have touched upon earlier, you will remember that when we inject the fuel, we do it under pressure, why do we inject fuel under pressure ?

If we didn't squeeze the fuel under pressure, we would have very large fuel droplets (like rain) resulting in very very poor engine MPG and emissions, the greater pressure we put the fuel under, the smaller the formation of the droplet, this is now atomisation, as we continue to squeeze the fuel under pressure, look at the pressure differences between port injection and GDI ^^^ the greater surface area we can cover per single injected metered amount of fuel.

Now before I loose some of you in the depths of fuel atomisation, let's look at some of the facts:

Chemical additives, premium fuel, Methanol and water can all help in combating the gummy carbon deposit, when we inject it directly into a otherwise dry air intake system, so to cover the largest surface area, injecting any of the afore mentioned liquids under pressure is nothing new, it merely increases fuel droplet size to a fine mist (atomization)

With the above mentioned, it's not so much the injection of a chemical additive under pressure which is going to remove our gummy carbon deposit, it's the shear amount of chemical additive injected over a period time frame whilst the engine is running, that said, this is where pressurised metering volume comes into play.

We have our engine idling at 800rpm the inlet valves open and close 6.66 times every second, and I'm sure most if not all of you, can see that any chemical additive, premium fuel, methanol or water injected under pressure (75psi variable) does not spend much time, in contact with the gummy carbon deposit, per injection cycle, only the shear amount of chemical additive, premium fuel, Methanol or water over multiple cycles will see significant results.

But nothing in what I have wrote above, will come close to the walnut shell blasting process, the above methods can only ever be a secondary reduction process.
    Performance Powered By Thought
    Engineered Horsepower

What do you think to bg44k?

Comment

Originally posted by Markymark View Post
      What do you think to bg44k?
      It's just similar to other chemical cleaning additives for the cleaning of the fuel system and combustion chamber on regular port injection engines.
      Engineered Horsepower

Comment

I'm squeezing a mixture of ethanol and distilled water. Dunno if it does a squat, but at least the pump sound makes me sleep better at night :P
        Citroën DS3 Racing 2011 Polar White
        ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
        sigpic

Comment

I understand the difference between the 2 forms of injection,will additives help at all in anyway? Have my car booked in for walnut blast sing on the 6th October.

Comment

How & where did you get that installed & how much if you don't mind me asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok View Post
              I'm squeezing a mixture of ethanol and distilled water. Dunno if it does a squat, but at least the pump sound makes me sleep better at night :P

Comment

I understand the difference between the 2 forms of injection,will additives help at all in anyway? Have my car booked in for walnut blast sing on the 6th October.
                If you were to add, say BG44K to your fuel tank at pre determined intervals, it would help combate that gummy carbon deposit, which forms on the fuel injector spray nozzle tip, the piston crown, the piston rings, the valve faces and the cylinder head pent roof chamber, but NOT the back of the inlet valves, that said, when I say pre determined intervals, what I mean is regular/often, say every 5th tank full of petrol, once you get it clean, spend a few preventative £££ and keep it clean.
                Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok View Post
                  At a ratio % mix of ?

Is your system boost activated ?
                  Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by Czar View Post
                    If you were to add, say BG44K to your fuel tank at pre determined intervals, it would help combate that gummy carbon deposit, which forms on the fuel injector spray nozzle tip, the piston crown, the piston rings, the valve faces and the cylinder head pent roof chamber, but NOT the back of the inlet valves, that said, when I say pre determined intervals, what I mean is regular/often, say every 5th tank full of petrol, once you get it clean, spend a few preventative £££ and keep it clean.
                    Thank you for the polite & helpful straight to the point reply Czar will probably give that a go once I've had the walnut blasting done & it's running right regards Mark

Comment

At a ratio % mix of ?

Is your system boost activated ?
                      It's windshield washing fluid (glycolfree) for -40C, dunno the concentration. I mix about 50/50. Yes, it's activated at around 1 bars.
                      ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
                      sigpic

Comment

I purchased it on ebay from USA (few hunder bucks) and installed it bymyself. Takes half a day.

sigpic

Comment

Still gonna give Terracleans High pressure Induction clean system for the inlet valves a go. Even if it just helps, they seem adamant it works.
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                            Still gonna give Terracleans High pressure Induction clean system for the inlet valves a go. Even if it just helps, they seem adamant it works.
                            They will be adamant it works, TerraClean are in business to make money, as are the independents who have bought into the TerraClean franchise, the TerraClean chemical additive will help, injecting the solution under pressure, is nothing more than what a regular port injection fuel pump delivers!!

People are being misguided by the wordage, "high pressure" the only reason TerraClean add their chemical additive under pressure, is merely to atomise the droplets giving greater surface area coverage per injected CC (ML)

Anyone could actually perform a similar treatment, all it takes is the following.

1 electric fuel pump.

1 suitabley sized spray nozzle, EG: a nozzle from a water/meth kit, old carburettor etc etc, the smaller the better.

Suitable tubing.

Fuel/chemical resistant container.

Either premium fuel, Methanol 100% (neat) or any engine chemical cleaning additive of your choice.

You can now inject "under pressure" (electric fuel pump) into the inlet manifold through the rear PCV line, however if this is your chosen route, you must find a way to seal around the tubing you pass into the PCV tube, to stop the engine drawing in unwanted air as you inject your solution, this way, you can inject as little or much of your chosen solution, and it will do the same job, as the TerraClean!!
                            Last edited by Czar; 27-09-2014, 18:35.
                            Engineered Horsepower

Comment

People are being misguided by the wordage, "high pressure" the only reason TerraClean add their chemical additive under pressure, is merely to atomise the droplets giving greater surface area coverage per injected CC (ML)

Anyone could actually perform a similar treatment, all it takes is the following.
                              yeah exactly, though its choice. I decided to get the inlet manifold clean via Terraclean since i dont want the hassle to buy all that and do it myself. My terraclean experience is over here if anyone wants to read it. take from it what you may, but I know it was well worth it.

http://www.ds3club.co.uk/entry.php?2...Manifold-Clean
                              Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Working...
                              X