Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a plumber... I'm after a job change but not sure where how how to change.
    sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
    Third time around.
    Work in Progress

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickzayne View Post
      I'm a plumber... I'm after a job change but not sure where how how to change.
      There are three things you need to ask yourself.

1) What do I enjoy doing?
      2) What am I best at doing?
      3) What should I be doing?

If the answer to all three is the same then your job will probably never feel like work, however there are a number of factors that effect the three questions, certainly 1 and 3. Way too many people invest in a career or business opportunity that they enjoy but are not particularly good at, the pub and restaurant business is a classic example. Barmaids and waiters buying into these businesses without management experience are more than likely to fail.

Also think of your current financial situation, can you afford to retrain and potentially start back at the bottom of the ladder. Its the biggest problem in my line of work, people want to work back in the UK, normally for personal/family reasons but cant afford the massive drop in wages so they are stuck doing a job they don't enjoy whilst their family life suffers.

Be realistic about your expectations, when i'm back in the UK I take the occasional task to help a mate out or keep my hand in (networking). On every job I must get a dozen business cards thrust into my hands from lads who have no chance of getting employed.

Be wary of the 'Grass always greener on the other side' adage, I know a bloke who has had 6 jobs in the last 12 months. He works for somebody, good job with prospects then decides he could do it better on his own so sets up a small business, he has no business acumen so fails (or stagnates), he then chucks that in and goes to work for somebody else, this rotation has continued for well over a year.

What line of work were you looking at?

Comment

• Web developer/programmer.

Can't find any night school classes near by, and without structured lessons/targets I can't learn...

For example I use pages like codeacademy and that is a good starter course as it teaches you what certain code means and does then it tells you to reproduce an outcome using what it's taught you.

Then where that leaves you, you can learn from books but they kinda just teach you what it does with no practical/homework.

Plus I'd like to do it for a hobby more than full time work as it's something I could do for friends unless It took off and I could earn money from it...

Don't get me wrong I find my work very easy and pays well, it's just a bit boring and I hate wearing a dirty uniform and going in to dirty houses.

Blahhhh
        sigpic.

Third time around.
        Work in Progress

Comment

Don't get me wrong I find my work very easy and pays well, it's just a bit boring.
          Have you tried approaching any companies or people who will let you study alongside for free, would give you the hands on experience to complement any online learning.

Comment

• I work full time and they won't let me do any training during work unless it directly benefits them... So it would have to be an after work thing...

Also I have a mortgage and bills to I need my full wage xD
            sigpic.

Third time around.
            Work in Progress

Comment

• I meant after work mate, it comes under point 3

I have to keep my various qualifications in date which I do when im home on leave, using up a week from the 12th for an FPOSi refresher is a lick out but necessary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Superfly Guy View Post
                I meant after work mate, it comes under point 3

I have to keep my various qualifications in date which I do when im home on leave, using up a week from the 12th for an FPOSi refresher is a lick out but necessary.
                Not quite sure where I would start with that then since most companies are 9-5 jobs?
                sigpic.

Third time around.
                Work in Progress

Comment

Not quite sure where I would start with that then since most companies are 9-5 jobs?
                  A lot of people will work freelance outside of normal hours.

Comment

• I'm an Assistant Project manager at a Building Surveying firm.

Well I will 've when I graduate in a couple of months and start the job I've already got.

Comment

• My main day job is classified but it has a large IT element, I have a few other business interests, and I love detailing for fun (and I love training and helping people in it), and people want to pay me for it . As for worth, I don't even tell my other half that

Regards,
                      Clive.
                      CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
                      DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

• **Admin** please feel free to delete this post if too off topic, just thought it may interest some of the resident geeks.

As previously mentioned, I'm a dispatcher/turn around co-ordinator at an airport, here's a few pics from one of the more interesting (and difficult) flights I've done.

Boeing 747-400 Freighter carrying KAI T-50B Golden Eagle fighter jets. Total of 8 aircraft and ground support moved over 4 flights, about 80,000kg of freight per aircraft.

Comment

• Originally posted by CliveP View Post
                          My main day job is classified.
                          So why even mention it.

Comment

• Originally posted by moranphotography View Post
                            jessops? and my new best friend ;-)
                            I can't share my discount
                            May 2011 - October 2015: White body/black roof/white Bellone THP150
                            October 2015 - Present: Black body/emerald green roof/black Aphrodite THP165
                            Instagram @adamds3

Comment

• Originally posted by THP View Post
                              I can't share my discount
                              Phuh! ;-)
                              Phil Moran

sigpic

Comment

• I drive the megabus
                                Using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...